Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The perfect newt tank?

natuhlee

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has come to my attention that my newt tank set up is not ideal, so I have come to you all for help! I have two fire belly newts that are either young (they've grown from about 3 inches to 4 since ive had them in the past couple months) or are adults who are very used to land. As my tank is now, theres about three inches of water. The gravel is sloped up on one side with moss on top of it. There is a piece of bamboo laying across the bottom with a fake little log on the other side of the tank that they can go inside or get on top of. Any opinions/suggestions are absolutely welcomed. Is the water level okay, is the moss potentially harmful, should I have live plants, if so, do I need a filter? Im a first time newt parent so I'll really take any advice!

Attachments

• 1424995558002.jpg
    1424995558002.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 1424908253680.jpg
    1424908253680.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 190
  • 1424315404360.jpg
    1424315404360.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 184

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
First of all I would ditch that moss incase it is acidic. I would also ditch the gravel for bare bottom or rinsed sand. Since they're adapted to terrestrial life, you're going to want to start them out in a shallow (about 1" of water) tank that only has live plants, nothing to it can get completely dry without climbing walls. After that gradual increases of water can be done every couple of weeks to get them used to the water opposed to land, if they stick to the sides of the tank, they'll eventually come down. I would change all the water every couple of days when theres only that little amount.
Now when they're aquatic, they should have a minimum of 10 gallons of water, with that and live plants in addition to daily spot cleaning and weekly water changes, a filter is not necessary.
Also, here is a caresheet if you haven't seen it already:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1