The reason for Plants ??

SilverScales

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious. When keeping axolotls in an aquascaped tank - is this done to: keep the axolotls happy : Keep the veiwers happy : Keep the water healthier for the animals ?? Is the answer one of these or all of these. I just want to know because I am wanting to put plants in my tank. My Axolotls already have a marimo ball in there and the haven't damaged it but they do like to push it around for fun. Thanks for your input.

All of the above! They just make everything better:happy:

Yes, all of the above. Of course we want to enjoy what our aquariums look like, that's kind of the point of aquariums, to be almost... Moving art.
And I think I speak for everyone when I say that planted tanks look amazing. They provide great cover for axolotls, they give axolotls things to hang on which they really love to do. They also are great for axolotls who are tanked with feeder fish, as they can hide in the plants and strike when the moment is right. Plants of course have great effects on the water quality as well. It's a win, win, win situation!

Also depends on the plants. I had anacharis in my fish tank. LOVED it. But what a messy plant.

Did you have a co2 setup? I read anacharis needs co2 to do well.

Anacharis is probably the least demanding plant that is used in aquariums, and does not require CO2 injection to thrive.

Awesome! I really love the look of a planted aquarium- and really do want to add plants. ( Im a gardener- and do great with plants- but I have never tried anything with water plants yet.) Does having many plants in the tank make it alittle more complicated clean up- I do a 50 percent water change once a week ( I have near perfect water quality- I don't have city water) but I have 2 axolotls in a large aquarium with a fine sand bottom and they seem very happy like that. I've been very cautious about adding anything to the tank with them- I was even worried about the marimo- but I guess Axolotls are a bit tuffer than I was thinking.

Haha, yes axolotls are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for.
Cleaning really depends on how you have it set up, if you have a huge section of dense jungle then it might be hard to clean inside of it, but if you have plants spread out throughout your aquarium then it should be pretty easy to keep in check. It also depends on how you have them anchored, if they are just sitting in the sand then they might get pulled out when you're cleaning, but if you have them tied down to a rock or driftwood, planted in a little pot, etc then you can move things around and find uneaten food or poops etc a lot easier.

I plant plants for diggers in little fishnet bags that hold roots, some substrate and a plant fertilizer tab. Or I anchor on rocks or driftwood I can move when needed.
you can also plant in distinct groups with broad sand paths between. Poop tends to end up mostly in the open spots.

I plant plants for diggers in little fishnet bags that hold roots, some substrate and a plant fertilizer tab. Or I anchor on rocks or driftwood I can move when needed.
you can also plant in distinct groups with broad sand paths between. Poop tends to end up mostly in the open spots.

Plant ferts arent reccomended in an axie tank as axies are sensitive to chemicals and can absorb it through their skin :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back