Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

There's a first time for everything

M

matthew_d

I was almost tempted to post this in News and Announcements... but I just wanted to tell EVERYONE that yesterday morning I had my first batch of Himalayan Crocodile newt eggs!
Anyway, beyond thanking John for his patient support and advice, I am full of questions...

1) JC's care sheet mentions - to paraphrase - photoperiod may be a factor... I have been wondering why now?... the only different variable I can think of is that trouble with my aquarium light starter meant a slightly shorter day for them. I thought extra light would promote breeding not less - unless it was relative length ie when the normal longer day had followed the shorter day - if that makes sense. The next day - problem having been solved -he was tail-fanning her. A couple of days later and I had eggs. Just wondered if there had been any more research into this or if anyone had observations or experience relevant here?

2) Today he is nudging her again, following her about, getting in the way of wherever she wants to go etc! (And then there is that glint is his eye...) So could there be another batch on the way soon? I have been so focussed on the eggs... now I am wondering what to expect if an aquarium divider is not installed as birth control...?

3) Re the tail-fanning: at the risk of asking a very ignorant question... is this a visual cue or there is a pheremonal / olfactory element to it (or both)?

Cheers for suggestions and support!
Matthew

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1