Thermometer

upinde

Reaction score
Country
England
Just wondering what thermometer do you all use ? Is a strip (sticky) one adequate or should I go for a digital one instead ?

I've a digital one but I'm colour blind so I struggle to see the market line in your average bulb thermometer. Plus it lets me track temperature changes more precisely.

Sent from the comfort of my throne room

The strip ones aren't particularly accurate. I have normal mercury thermometers in both my aquariums. The one in the axolotl tank is suction-cupped to the glass, and the fish tank has one that stands in the substrate.

I don't trust the axolotl with one that just stands in the substrate, I don't want her trying to attack it or eat it. :p

I use a digital one that sits inside my tank, it's easy to read and very accurate. the stick on ones, as stated are ****.

I use a digital thermometer for all my tanks. I currently only have hatchling axolotls in the deli-cup method. But, my Betta tanks & Cichild tank I have digital thermometers to accurately read the temperature in the tanks. I had the mercury thermometers for a little while, but I didn't think they were quite accurate. I bought two of these off eBay for like $13 shipped.

Retail-water-proof-Aquarium-Digital-Thermometer.jpg

I wanted to note that the glass thermometers you buy these days are all alcohol based, not mercury (so no contamination risk if one breaks).

I have a couple digital of the type toxickitten posted and one glass as backup. Generally I really like them, but I started getting readings I just didn't believe with one (not just off, but bouncing around). I ended up tracking it to the light fixture, so I like having an alcohol-based one to help confirm things if the readings seem strange.

Also, one thing to note is that the digitals may seem more precise, but that model is still rated as being accute to +/- 1.5 degrees. I've worked with glass thermometers rated significantly more accurate than that, so I wouldn't trust that the digital readings are necessarily more accurate, even if they report more digits. In practial terms 1.5 degrees is plenty accurate for fish and amphibians, and I find the digital models much more convenient with multiple tanks.

Last edited:
I kinda have a combi of all three types, some tanks have strips on the glass, (tend to ignore them) I have a few digital thermometers and you can guarantee the batteries die just when you need them :( and all my tanks have glass thems they seem to give the most consistent readings (no batteries ) though I have had the inside gubbins move out of alignment.

I have found one of the best ways to check any that you have is to use a food probe (as you can calibrate them yourself) and if your already paying out £13 + then that's all they cost. Always helpfully as a back up and they can be sterilised between tanks :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back