They started hatching!!!!

E

ellena

OMG I didnt know this would happen so fast!!! I just got these guys on sunday and now 2 have hatched out today...

what is the best food to feed them? I thought I still had a while, looks like im running out tomorrow first thing in the morn.

Thanks!
56611.jpg

56612.jpg

56613.jpg

you will do fine for the first 3 days or so-they will live off their yolks. once they get going they will need small live food-like daphnia.

I found a place locally that said they sometimes have "warm water daphnia" will that suffice?

they also said they always have blackworms... are those ok for them?

Oh and I now have 9 out! wow!!!

(Message edited by jinx on March 30, 2006)

you can order daphnia by mail and raise them yourself so you will have a constant supply-here is a link
http://www.dallasdiscus.com/daphnia.htm

ive had issues in the past with blackworms-you have to watch your worms cause if they die en-masse they can kill the larvae too.

You might also consider live baby brine shrimp. Most pet stores carry brine shrimp and brine shrimp hatchery kits. I bought mine at a Petsmart a few years ago for approximately $10-12.

Ok thanks!!

I have Daphnia on the way (will be here Monday)I bought them from where Paris suggested (thanks Paris!)

for now I found that my local fish shop sells brine shrimp eggs! So ive got those up and ready to go, it says they will hatch in about 24 hours.

Heres some more pics... sorry to bore you all with so many, but I am just so excited!! Plus I figured it would be fun to photodocument them daily to see the changes!
56642.jpg

56643.jpg

Ellena, PLEASE do not post the same question in multiple places on this forum (I deleted your other ones). It doesn't get you faster answers, it only annoys the moderators
errr.gif

How far away is the pond where you got the eggs? If you do some seining with a brine shrimp net (or a normal fish net lined with cloth), you can collect wild daphnia and other critters. The risk is that you could also introduce some carnivorous bugs that could eat some of your sal larvae.

The live blackworms are probably your best bet. Initially, you will need to chop them into small pieces. The great thing about blackworms is that the pieces stay alive and wiggly in the water. If I were you, I wouldn't bother with hatching brine shrimp, unless you'd enjoy playing around with that.

Jennifer-

Sorry about that. I posted them and then realized that they were in the wrong spot but then it wouldnt let me delete them....

im new, im working on it, promise.
sick.gif

No problem, Ellena. Keep us posted on how they are doing. If you have a reliable source of blackworms, and keep the water changes sufficient, you should have no problems.

Well I changed it today. Is every three days ok or should it be more fequent? Im worried about stressing them out.

Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back