Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

They won't eat!

P

pat

I recently purchased two chinese firebellies, and they won't eat.

I tried freeze dried bloodworms, salamander bites, and small chopped up earth worms.

I keep the tank as cool as I can (without and air conditioner) by putting a bottle of ice in at regular intervals.

I can't think of any other reason why they don't eat. They are in the water so long as I keep it really cool, whenever it's warm they come on land.

Any advice? also any advice on how better to cool the tank with little cash?

How recently have you purchased them?

If the newts are still getting acclimated to their tank and surroundings, they might not be eating because they're still adjusting.

How long has it been since they ate?

I once had a chinese fire-belly that ate only once a week. He never seemed otherwise unhealthy (his eyes were good, his skin, his energy level, his overall appearance) - but he just ate once a week like clockwork. My newt now likes to have little nibbles about every other day of something. If it's been a few days or so, I would say wait it out a few more days unless your newts are looking emaciated or ill.

Good luck!

BTW, where did you obtain your fire-bellies? I've been looking for months now, and can't seem to find any almost anywhere!

I purchased them a week ago, and unfortunately last night, one died.

I have a feeling I bought sick newts, I continue to try and feed the remaining one, but it is very lethargic and will move away from anything near it that is moving, such as a live earth worm.

I got these from a local pet store that seems fairly reputable, I've gotten fish there in the past and they were healthy, however I'm sure you can't assume that their newts would be healthy as well.

I hope my newt makes it through, but if he doesn't then I am definitely going to reconsider buying new newts from a pet store ever again.

Mmm - I hope your newt makes it too! And my thoughts with and for your other one.

I've heard that the best bet for newts is getting some from a breeder at the US Caudate Registry, because then you know the newts will be healthier. The only downside is that it might be more expensive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +1