Thinking about getting an Axolotl

CarolineRose

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to the site and I'm thinking about getting an Axolotl well two actually. I've been doing my research and think that I can set up and maintain a suitable tank for the little guys. There is a guy that doesn't live to far from me and he wanting to get rid of the two he has. I just want to make sure they are Axolotls. I've come across some post where people ended up with a tiger salamander I think it was I read. So my question is how can I make sure I'm getting Axolotls. The only difference I have come across so far is that a salamander has chubby toes and an Axolotl's toes are longer and slimmer, is that correct?

Last edited:
Yes that is correct, with the toes. Tiger salamander larvae also have a different coloration.
If the axolotls are color morphs such as leucistics, melanoids, albinos, etc then there is no worry about obtaining a tiger salamander.
If it's a guy trying to get rid of some axolotls there isn't much worry of getting tigers. It's usually the pet stores that do that.
Bring a picture of a wildtype axolotl and a picture of a tiger sal larva to see which one the axolotl closely resembles.
I highly doubt you'll get tigers though, because you're getting them from a single person rather than a shop.
Good luck on getting your first axolotls!! :D Welcome to the addiction. Have you checked out axolotl.org? It has the best info on them out there.

I think Axolotl.org is actually the first site I went to. the guy that's getting rid of his sent me to that site. He also sent me pics of the two, they are the wild type and they seem to have long skinny toes lol if I can figure out how to add pics to this post would you mind having a look at them and giving your opinion on them? I know nothing about the guy and havn't asked him where he had gotten them from. I think he said they are about 4 inches long

1.jpg

2.jpg

Those are definitely axies. Tigers have fat sausage toes.

yay!! Thanks for confirming it...that makes me happy. I will set up a tank this weekend and see if I can maintain the water requirements for a few and if I can then I will get the little cuties!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back