Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thinking if getting a second axolotl?

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting another axolotl to go with my current.

The shop that has some say theirs are 12 inch female.

Mines is currently 8/9 inchi know it's one inch difference give or take.

The shop said the both of them.should be fine together as they can't eat each other what do you think of that ? Or do you think it's the shop trying to sell.

Ps I would say my axie is female would you agree ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_181124113_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210418_181124113_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 189

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting another axolotl to go with my current.

The shop that has some say theirs are 12 inch female.

Mines is currently 8/9 inchi know it's one inch difference give or take.

The shop said the both of them.should be fine together as they can't eat each other what do you think of that ? Or do you think it's the shop trying to sell.

Ps I would say my axie is female would you agree ?
Hard to tell from that angle alone, but based on body shape, it appears female. Looks can sometimes be deceiving though. Axolotls can be housed together as long as there is no bigger than a 2-3 inch difference. Thats the general rule anyway. Most adults/sub-adults will be fine together. They will still nip each other if they get hungry enough though so introduce them slowly and make sure they are both well fed.

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
Hard to tell from that angle alone, but based on body shape, it appears female. Looks can sometimes be deceiving though. Axolotls can be housed together as long as there is no bigger than a 2-3 inch difference. Thats the general rule anyway. Most adults/sub-adults will be fine together. They will still nip each other if they get hungry enough though so introduce them slowly and make sure they are both well fed.
Thanks for your help. I have attached a pic from side on if that's any help lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_134446739.jpg
    IMG_20210421_134446739.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking female too but I have heard they can just drop out the blue lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1