Thinking of getting some plants

Mighty Zoosh101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've been reading on this site for a while but I haven't really posted yet. I'm looking for some plants to go in a land viv, it has a hydroleca bottom layer, orchid bark second layer then a top layer of living moss (from Dartfrog). It's for some S.s.terrestris so I'm wondering what sort of plants would be good if anyone could help please :). I have a preference for ferns so my manders can hide underneath but if there are any other plant life that is easy to manage that you could suggest, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Keiron

Thanks! This is a lot of help :) I will defiantly consider getting some pothos as it seems one of the best plants to have, do you know if it doesn't mind having quite a bit of light in the day? Yeah I think I'll take your advice and try to get some ferns as well.

Thanks again for the help :)
Keiron

beware of the very delicate, feathery-leaved tropical ferns sold often in plant nurseries (e.g., Adiantum spp, Pteris spp) - I found they require virtually 100% humidity or they'll dry out, and that would be moister than your salamanders probably like it...

Last edited:
Would Nephrolepis be ok? Maybe the dwarf variety? Oh and sorry to keep bothering you but I've read that Pothos is pretty toxic, can my salamanders get ill from it?

Thanks again
Keiron

I've kept Pothos in my tanks for years. It's only 'toxic' if ingested in large quantities. Salamanders aren't known for their grazing.

Would be quite funny to see if they were grazing like cattle :p Good good glad to hear, thanks very much for your help. I'll be heading to the shop to go get some when I can :)

Thanks again

moss is good......

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back