Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This may be the craziest Q ever.

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
I have 2 axolols I'm taken on another as he was going to a sanctuary.

2 females this one is male.

I have a separate tank for him that I'm gonna start to cycle.

However I'm putting him in my tank with a divider from the other 2 females

My tank is 4ft wide 3ft depth

2ft for the 2 females 2ft for the male

( I know 2ft is not wide enough for 2 axolols this is just temporary) they also have a hammock then another platform making the tank divided into 3 af it's 3ft in depth)

My question is .. is there such a thing as getting a 2ft kind of net or some kind of tank with holes so the water can run through that I can hook on making it possible to use the one tank of that makes sense because it is so deep?

This is giving one axolol 2ft space and the 2 females 4ft foor space

I hope this makes sense 🤣

xxianxx

Reaction score
Why seperate them ? If you dont want eggs just bin or sell them. If they are being seperated due to size theres no guarantee a divider will work. Idk if there are any commercially available tank dividers, it should be easy enough to make your own.

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
Why seperate them ? If you dont want eggs just bin or sell them. If they are being seperated due to size theres no guarantee a divider will work. Idk if there are any commercially available tank dividers, it should be easy enough to make your own.
Is it that easy tho just to bin them of that's the case then that would be ideal. Can it not harm the females with them keep breeding ? I wouldn't keep the eggs the male has been inbred and has a few deformities.

They are all roughly the same size so this isn't an issue

It would be something like a breeding box however 2ft is something I have in mind however it's not a thing lol.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Females are unlikely to be harmed by breeding, its what evolution designed them for. I had one female who layed three times in six weeks when she was young and her seperated her as i thought any more egg production could drop her body condition, she stopped this kind of laying as she got older. This was an unusual situation , i have raised hundreds of axolotl to adulthood and have not seen this with any other.

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
How often would they usually lay eggs if they were in a tank with a male ?

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I have 2 axolols I'm taken on another as he was going to a sanctuary.

2 females this one is male.

I have a separate tank for him that I'm gonna start to cycle.

However I'm putting him in my tank with a divider from the other 2 females

My tank is 4ft wide 3ft depth

2ft for the 2 females 2ft for the male

( I know 2ft is not wide enough for 2 axolols this is just temporary) they also have a hammock then another platform making the tank divided into 3 af it's 3ft in depth)

My question is .. is there such a thing as getting a 2ft kind of net or some kind of tank with holes so the water can run through that I can hook on making it possible to use the one tank of that makes sense because it is so deep?

This is giving one axolol 2ft space and the 2 females 4ft foor space

I hope this makes sense 🤣
So what I'm hearing is that you're trying to basically make a horizontal separator rather than a vertical one?

If so, heres what I suggest:
-screen netting (goes over windows and doors, especially in the midwest to keep insects out--you can usually find it at a hardware store). The only difficulty will be fastening it and may be covering the edges, which might be sharp, so you will also want:

-rubber u-shaped edge trim to seal off the edges. I bought some recently from amazon for a similar purpose, so I can send you a link if you want

-large suction cups. This well let you fasten it to the walls of the tank, but make it so you can still remove them as necessary. Youll have to watch out for gaps that the axolotls might slip through, so I'd recommend making the screen bigger than you need and fastening the cups a few inches in (rather than at the edges) so that the netting forms a kind of cup rather than a stretcher.

I hope that makes sense, and I have no idea if it would work, but that's what I thought of, lol

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
That's an absolute amazing idea !!!! It gives more room and because the tank is deep it would work !

Yes please send the link.

Would you think this is an alright idea to keep them in ?

It just means that the females can have 4ft and the male can have 2ft and there is still space for their hammocks and to go gulp for air.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Here's the link you asked for!

I used this to line a hole I made in a mesh screen cover. So far, it's working great, and it was one of the thinnest (in terms of the gap width) I could find. I think it should work, but it might still be a bit too large for netting. If it's too loose, you could probably just roll or fold it over to thicken it up. For extra security, you could use fishing line to go through a hole in the net and tie it around the edge, just make sure you trim the ends of the line without cutting any knots.

I personally would recommend just using another tank. It seems like it would be less trouble in the long run. If you're dead-set on one aquarium though, this seems like the best way to do it to me, but like I said, there are still issues.

Axolotlsmiles

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few people use a type of egg crate wall to make horizontal platforms. You’d just have to find ones with small enough holes

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
Here's the link you asked for!

I used this to line a hole I made in a mesh screen cover. So far, it's working great, and it was one of the thinnest (in terms of the gap width) I could find. I think it should work, but it might still be a bit too large for netting. If it's too loose, you could probably just roll or fold it over to thicken it up. For extra security, you could use fishing line to go through a hole in the net and tie it around the edge, just make sure you trim the ends of the line without cutting any knots.

I personally would recommend just using another tank. It seems like it would be less trouble in the long run. If you're dead-set on one aquarium though, this seems like the best way to do it to me, but like I said, there are still issues.
Thank you very much I found someone on eBay that makes then but this was his reply.

I would have added some aquarium grass inside the net so it's not just mesh.

I'm absloutly rubbish a DIY but this is a really good idea.

Even if it was temporary until I cycled the tank but it would be good to have them in the one tank lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-102336.png
    Screenshot_20210616-102336.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20210616-102339.png
    Screenshot_20210616-102339.png
    249 KB · Views: 98
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1