Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger sal breeding pool

D

dane

alright!, so I have a friend who lives near a farm with horses on it and there is a pond on the farm and I was wondering do you guys think that tiger sals would breed there? My friend says it has fish in it and from what Ive seen of it it has A LOT of plants and that in it(i didnt see any fish), I am diffenitely checking it out in the spring

ps we do have permision to go on the farmland

A

andy

It is possible, but unlikely due to the presence of fish. Check for adults near or in the pond around April-May. Or, dipnet/seine for the larvae mid-summer.

J

joan

April or May is probably a little late in your neck of the woods. I've seen them at ponds as early as February. The first rain on a night above 50F or so and they'll migrate.

C

cameron

Have you ever found larvae in the pond before? Adults tend to come to mate and lay eggs in the same ponds that they were born in.

A

andy

Ice fisherman are still driving on lakes in Wisconsin during February

J

joan

Lakes, yes. Breeding ponds are usually vernal, which means they start filling during the spring rains. I didn't say you'd find them as early as February every year.

D

dane

ive never really been to the pond except once and when I was there it was to late in the year for looking for larvae

Im not all that familiar with tiger sals(locating wise) so im asking the questions and getting the answer!

(Message edited by dane_zu on December 20, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!