Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander / Axolotl Hybrid?

joeyasaurusrex

Reaction score
Howdy folks, I've heard about breeding tiger salamander/axolotl hybrids, can anyone explain how it works, what I'd need to do? here's a list of questions:

1) do I need a male or a female tiger salamander?
2) does the tiger salamander need to be in sexual maturity yet still in larval form?
3) do they breed like normal axolotl?
4) does one take care of the eggs & larvae the same?
5) finally, is it relatively easy to get them to breed, or is it quite difficult?

Let me know guys!
thanks, -joe

joeyasaurusrex

Reaction score
I just thought it would be fun and interesting to try, the offspring I would tend to just the same as axolotl offspring... does anyone know anything about this idea?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I just thought it would be fun and interesting to try, the offspring I would tend to just the same as axolotl offspring... does anyone know anything about this idea?

If you are new to axolotls just try to keep it alive, many people dont, check out the sick axolotl section of this site. Then worry about breeding them , let alone with tiger sals who are notoriously hard to breed in captivity.

Jeroen Spobeck

Reaction score
You probably end up selling them maby as hybrids but will the new owners if they breed the hybrids do two? They eventualy end up selling them as normal axolotls somewhere. There is no need to mess up the axolotl even more.

FX1C

Reaction score
I've heard if you cross a dog with a rabbit you can create a vegetarian herbivore that mows the lawn & leaves compost poo behind :) low maintenance & everyone would want one - especially if you breed them teacup size!

Perhaps you could create the next awesome hybrid pet :D

>o_o< Axolotlaholic >o_o<

Olivia97

Reaction score
By cross breeding you are potentially introducing a whole new gene pool of defects and abnormalities. If it didn't happen in the wild, it wasn't meant to.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be fun and interesting to try, but what would you do with all the potential offspring? It would be irresponsible to re-home them. Would you be prepared to to keep all the offspring your self? Or to cull them all once you have seen the end result?

Reaction score
From my understanding, you cannot hybridize them unless you can recreate a surgical laboratory setting. The hybrids I know of were created by surgically altering an axolotl by giving it tiger salamander genitalia. If you were able to do this, why? For what reason would you wish to do this? For knowledge? I see none to be gained.

If you truly are cruel enough to not stray from this path you are on, I must ask you to please not sell them. Axolotls already have muddied genes, why introduce more hybrids into it? I do not mean to be rude, but I must express my opinion on the matter. The original experiment was done with the intention to gain some form of knowledge. It has been accomplished, and so the experiment holds no more scientific merit. Please do not attempt what you are contemplating attempting.

squishyjaws12

Reaction score
It can be done with out any physical alteration to either species. It is best achieved with a morphed male tiger Sal and an aquatic femal axie. It can be done yes but is it easy ? No. Is it beneficial ? Take your choice. Personally I would love to do a hybridization project with a. andersoni a. tigrinum and a. mexicanum. Will I ? Probably not, but if I get the opurtunity I would and no I would not put them on the market as mislabeled axies if I even put them for sale at all, I would love to just have them for my own enjoyment.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jake

Reaction score
I placed 2 male tiger salamanders that were in breeding condition with a female axolotl in the spring and they dropped spermatophores and she laid a small (very small) clutch of eggs. Unfortunately none of them were fertile, but hopefully this spring will be better. I don't understand how this could be considered cruel, a morphed axolotl and tiger salamander are more similar than you might think and adding new blood to the gene pool would only benefit the axolotls. I agree that it would be immoral to sell them as axolotls, or to share with someone who might let them breed and do so, but there is no harm in keeping them or sharing with others who want to do just that. The difference between A.mexicanum and A.tigrinum is about the same as the difference between tigrinum and mavortium, they're just from different localities. Our animals will never be released into the wild so what difference does it make if some people keep hybrids?

I personally find it racist to claim that it would be cruel to let them mix. If two humans, one from Africa and one from Asia had a child, would that be cruel? It's the same concept and without Africans and Asians mixing we wouldn't have Naomi Campbell or Tiger Woods ;)

Jake

Reaction score
If it didn't happen in the wild, it wasn't meant to.

That's funny because I don't recall anyone finding albino axolotls in the wild. I don't remember ever hearing of axolotls living in glass boxes and eating pellets in the wild either...it wasn't meant to be then, right?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I personally find it racist to claim that it would be cruel to let them mix. If two humans, one from Africa and one from Asia had a child, would that be cruel? It's the same concept and without Africans and Asians mixing we wouldn't have Naomi Campbell or Tiger Woods ;)

It's not the same but it is definitely an amusing argument.
:D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's not the same but it is definitely an amusing argument.
:D

But it really is not the same. All human populations are part of the same species, even the same subspecies. We have a clinal distribution and there are no clear lines between populations. Also, we have the hability to conciously and willingly pair up with whomever we want (in principle). Axolotls and tiger salamanders are separate species, with well defined and separate populations that don´t overlap. Their hybridisation is only possible if we make it possible.
Hybridisation does introduce new genetic material, but it also throws away millenia of independent evolution and species identity. Not that i care that much, really, since domestic axolotls already are not the real deal...
In fact i wouldn´t care at all if there was even the tinniest guarantee that people would be responsible and honest with them....but that would never happen.

The analogy would work if we were talking about human/bonobo hybrids for example. That would be roughly equivalent to axolotl/tiger salamander hybrids. Otherwise two humans of any origin reproducing together would only be equivalent to two axolotls with a number of different alleles reproducing together.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!