Tiger Salamander hates me!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Dinky!
Weird subject, I know!

I've had 2 female barred tigers for a couple of months now, both perfectly happy, healthy and eating very well.

The first, Faine, to my surprise is possibly over friendly, poking her head out whenever I so much as walk past, coming right up to me. A very friendly girl.

Then there's the second, Fawn, who is not very fond of me at all! I go up to the tank, she bolts, go to change their water, she's gone in a second. The only time she will come anywhere near me is when she knows she's getting fed.

It has, in a way, worried me as when I first brought the pair home it was the other way round. Faine was very shy and introverted while Fawn was very ballsy, coming up to everyone - even trying to climb over the sides of my "transit tank". (Big tank I use for transporting beasties)

I've read many a time that tiger sals are quite shy so is she just living upto their reputation? Is Faine the odd one for being so friendly? I was also concerned that something could have frightened her, could that cause such behavior?

Thankyou!

grius

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Tigers shy, I have moslty read and heard the opposite. I have 2 large females and 4 juvs, all fearless and totally crazy. They will jump at me, bite me when changing water and just being a pain in the *** when I have to clean their tank or change water. But of course their individuals, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with your "friendly" tiger, that is a pretty common behaviour for tigers what I know.

Last edited:

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Dinky!
Ah that's good to hear! Could it be she just needs some more time getting used to her new(ish) surroundings? Mine are both around 2 years old and like I said, she's perfectly healthy as far as I'm concerned.

grius

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Yes that could be the reason, or that she just is a little more shy tiger. My one female was the more shy one the first year, but now 2 years later even she is out out day and night begging for food, and are also the more "aggresive" one trying to bite me every time she get the chance. Just let her be shy and don't worrie about that, she may and will probably become bolder with time as with mine.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Dinky!
Aww, that's great to hear. I don't mind that she's shy, I was more worried that she was poorly so thanks for all your advice! :eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
I agree. As long as she's eating okay, it's nothing to worry about. I've got a shy feller too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.