Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander not eating.

Reaction score
Hello, I have a very young tiger salamander who doesn't want to eat. I changed the substrate from sphagnum to coco fiber because I read on here that sphagnum has the tendency to be too acidic for tiger salamanders. A couple of days in and still no eating although a noticeable increase in activity. Should I be worried or do you think it will just take some more time for the salamander to get used to the new terrarium and decide to eat?

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Could you provide a few more details as to how you are keeping and feeding it?
Tiger salamanders are usually aggressive eaters in captivity.

Reaction score
It is being kept in a large plastic container with about 5 inches of substrate, some large and small pieces of cork bark and stones for hiding, and a plastic water bowl. I have tried various insects but when I first got the salamander it ate a couple of night crawlers so that's what I have been feeding mostly. It also tends to turn its head towards them when it sees them but it doesn't attack and eat them like it did when I first got it. I have yet to try crickets as I got this salamander in the winter and stores around me don't sell crickets in the winter so that is my next step is getting some small crickets.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I would suggest trying crickets and/or dubia roaches. Start with just a few- don't overwhelm the salamander. Drop a couple in, and check back after a few hours to see if they have been eaten. If the salamander remains burrowed most of the time, it may take a while before it finds crickets. You'll get the best results feeding at lights out.

Reaction score
I would suggest trying crickets and/or dubia roaches. Start with just a few- don't overwhelm the salamander. Drop a couple in, and check back after a few hours to see if they have been eaten. If the salamander remains burrowed most of the time, it may take a while before it finds crickets. You'll get the best results feeding at lights out.
I am happy to inform that I finally was able to get to the pet store and pick up some small crickets and he ate them without hesitation! I guess he just isn't interested in worms for some reason. Maybe when he is larger!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1