Tiger salamanders and humidity..?

Amyy73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Amyy73
As of today we are having a heat wave. It reached the mid 80's here. My tank has been good about 65 degrees temp with humidity around 60. Now that it was hot today my tank temp was 70 but my humidity went down to 30. I'm not sure why this happened. Does anyone know what the humidity should be for tiger salamanders? If it's at 30 will that harm them?

Just to give more info. I do have a live plant in my tank and a water bowl. Not to mention a screened top and half of it covered with plexiglass to hold in moisture. All was good until it got hot out today. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy,

I have looked at the care sheet over and over and there is no set humidity level for tiger salamanders that I could see. You can have a look at it yourself, it might help. http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

I mist my tank every other day and the temp is usually around 72º F and my tigers seem to be pretty happy with it.

I hope this helps.

What kind of substrate do you have, and are the sals able to dig down into it? Being able to dig into a moist substrate matters more than the air humidity, in my opinion. I keep tiger sals with a screen lid, and I live in a super-dry climate. They are able to dig under into the soil, and have been doing well for years.

I have the 50/50 mix of organic top soil with the coco fiber. I also have some sphagnum moss in there. My little tiger sal burrows all the time in the soil and moss. But, my barred tiger sal is always in the hides. He doesnt burrow. Thank you for both of your quick responses.

Amy

One more question that just popped up. Not sure if i should be worried or not. My smaller tiger sal the one that burrows a lot. I have seen her everyday for the past month to be fed. He is always at the tank looking out at me sometime during the day. I have not seen him since yesterday early afternoon. Which is now past 24 hours. He did not come out to eat or go in the water. I'm guessing he's burried pretty deap since i cant seem to find him. Should i be concerned? He has never done this before. I wasn't sure if i should try digging around to find him?

He just might be happy burrowed in the cool dirt and not hungry yet, my smaller tiger does that every once in a while. My big tiger however is always on cue when feeding time comes lol.

Your right that is what happened. He came out this morning to eat. Right there at the glass begging for food. I was so thrilled to see him.

I keep my salamander tank around 70 humidity but lower than that seems to do fine. Although some books say we should keep at 70.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back