Tiger Salamanders eyes look odd

Mina2588

Reaction score
Country
United States
My sister gave me her tiger salamander about a yr ago, he's almost 3 I think. Everything has been fine since I've had him till recently. I noticed a couple days ago he seemed like he couldn't see, he was stumbling a bit when he walked and kept rubbing his head in his dirt. About two or 3 days after, I noticed his eyes were shut and he didn't open them for maybe 2-3 days. Yesterday I could finally see his eyes, but the entire time they've looked like they have something them maybe? Since I could see them better today I noticed his left eye looks black and he still stumbles and rubs his head. I forgot mention I couldn't get him to eat either. My dad was kind enough to get me some live meal worms on his way home, thinking he didn't like his freeze dried anymore. He took the first one completely fine, but wouldn't take another, i eventually got him to eat a second, then he wouldn't take anymore. that was over a week ago. I've been trying to get him to eat all week and in that time he's only take 1 live meal worms and a freeze dried meal worms this morning. I've tried finding vets in my area but all of them are about 2 hr drives from me, I don't really want to put him in a car that's heater doesn't even work completely in 20° weather, plus the wind making it feel like 8°, not can I probably afford it. I'm really worried about him.
PXL_20230201_025117106.jpg

Last edited:
My sister gave me her tiger salamander about a yr ago, he's almost 3 I think. Everything has been fine since I've had him till recently. I noticed a couple days ago he seemed like he couldn't see, he was stumbling a bit when he walked and kept rubbing his head in his dirt. About two or 3 days after, I noticed his eyes were shut and he didn't open them for maybe 2-3 days. Yesterday I could finally see his eyes, but the entire time they've looked like they have something them maybe? Since I could see them better today I noticed his left eye looks black and he still stumbles and rubs his head. I forgot mention I couldn't get him to eat either. My dad was kind enough to get me some live meal worms on his way home, thinking he didn't like his freeze dried anymore. He took the first one completely fine, but wouldn't take another, i eventually got him to eat a second, then he wouldn't take anymore. that was over a week ago. I've been trying to get him to eat all week and in that time he's only take 1 live meal worms and a freeze dried meal worms this morning. I've tried finding vets in my area but all of them are about 2 hr drives from me, I don't really want to put him in a car that's heater doesn't even work completely in 20° weather, plus the wind making it feel like 8°, not can I probably afford it. I'm really worried about him.View attachment 95091
I can't see that well from this angle. 😕 can you try rinsing him off with some of his water?

I have two tiger salamanders and their food should consist mostly of live insects. If there’s problems with their skin or eyes, it’s probably because their soil and home isn’t cleaned and refreshed often enough, that could cause infections.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back