Tiger Sals

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
I cant find any tiger salamanders and I am trying, any suggestions? I live in northern Wisconsin and am in their range.

Wrong section again AJ (I've moved it). Please stop doing that.

Get a reasonable guidebook. Just because you're in their historic range doesn't mean they're still there, and it certainly doesn't mean you'll find them outside suitable habitat. Tigers distribution is notoriously spotty.

I have several field guides, and have looked in my pond for larvae too. I am near giving up. Thanks for the feedback.

So you've looked in one pond and haven't found them? Have you tried other ponds?

I dont have access to any other ponds. If there were larvae in a pond, would they be easy to find? Would I find one with in a half hour of searching?

I'm somehow just baffled why you're giving up. I mean, you've only looked in one place. If I did my surveys at work like that, Cheat Mountain Salamanders wouldn't exist in the area just because I didn't find them on one survey (which are 5-6 hours long, by the way, and done once or twice a week). My point is that you can't just count it out after looking in one spot. And you won't always find them, even if they are there. It's a matter of perseverance.

As for finding them, it depends. It depends on how many are there, how much food is there, weather conditions, etc. If you've never found adults in the area, chances are they're not breeding in that pond. If there ARE adults in the area, they may still not be breeding in that pond. That doesn't mean they aren't there. But then, even if you're in the historical range, that doesn't mean they ARE there, either. If you're in the range, but not in the right habitat, you're not going to find them. That would be like looking for pythons in the ocean. Yeah, you may be in Thailand, but most pythons don't usually dwell in the ocean.

Ok Kaysie, I dont think you understand, there is only one pond on my property and people around here say it is too big of liability for me to be going in their ponds. I did find tons of salamanders in a hole my grandfather dug about 5-8 years ago. It was either spring of fall, I cant remember exactly, because I was very young. I havent found any since. I would love to look more places but I cant think of any available places. The only public water holes are boat landings in lakes and rivers. Since tiger salamanders dont lay eggs in fish containing water, I am kind of out of luck. Also I am either on the edge of thier range or not at all. The DNR does not have any recordings of Wisconsin Counties with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back