Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Time lapse N.kaiseri

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A short time lapse of some of this years N.kaiseri. It was shot on my phone using iMotion.

The video nicely demonstrates the desire for cover. These timid newts do not like to be exposed.

Kaiseri Time Lapse - YouTube

Reaction score
Thats a heck of a lot of newts! How may of them where under the first piece of bark it looked like it was completely full!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it was completely full, to the rafters. That's why I took pity on them and put 2 more hides in! Sometimes I lift up hides and there's pile of newts shaped exactly like the inside of the hide. I bet if I put jelly molds in there I could get some funny shaped newt piles.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the floor of the tub is normally covered with hides. They don't have to all squash into the 3 shown in the video!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bet if I put jelly molds in there I could get some funny shaped newt piles.

Well, i think it´s clear now we´ll be waiting for pictures of star and heart shaped newt piles.

velasco13000

Reaction score
What do you plan to do with ALL those babies? possibly repopulating them in the wild? :rolleyes:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you plan to do with ALL those babies? possibly repopulating them in the wild? :rolleyes:

That's a nice idea but I doubt it's a simple process. I've heard of a couple of N.kaiseri projects in Iran, and since these newts are easy to breed any repopulation effort could be achieved from within Iran. That said, if the Iranian department of environment want some they are more than welcome...;)

I plan to give some away as zoo display animals and the rest will get sold as pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!