Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiny Black 'Worms'!?!?

art_iz_d3ad

Reaction score
Hi guys, umm I'm quite scared but I just moved my 6 year old girl over to a new, sand substrate tank last week and I'm doing her weekly clean and I just found 3! teny tiny black worms!!! ummm! does anyone know what they are/if they are dangerous?
20200430_212941.jpg

One was dead but the other two are moving around...i dont even know how they got in there as I washed the sand super well...

art_iz_d3ad

Reaction score
Ekk!! I think they are drain fly larvae nauseated_face. Does anyone know how to get rid of them and if they will harm her?
I dont even know how they got in there!

Murk

Reaction score
Drain fly larvae, or a similar larvae, sounds likely.
If you recently put in new sand, I'd assume the eggs came in with the sand (where did you get the sand?). It's also possible that an adult drain fly laid her eggs on the aquarium; they seem to like damp places.

It's hard to tell if this is actually drain fly or some other type of fly/moth.
None of them would be directly harmful to your axolotls. If there are many of them and they die and decompose in the sand, it could be a slight risk to your water quality.
If they pupate and grow into adults, they could be annoying to you. Your axolotls won't mind though - I'm sure they'll enjoy the snack.

Getting rid of them all would be more difficult - completely redoing the interior of the tank (and the filter, especially if it's an external filter) would be the only guarantee.
Personally, I'd say: put a good, closed lid on the tank, and sit it out for a season. As long as you carefully keep the lid closed no new eggs can be laid and next season you'll be clear again.

TomahawkLotlMom

Reaction score
Is this the same black worm? Drain fly larvae? Not a harmful parasite? Found 6 after cleaning my tank.

Attachments

• F1DD805C-D75B-45AB-B38F-35C115BC27FF_1_201_a.jpeg
    F1DD805C-D75B-45AB-B38F-35C115BC27FF_1_201_a.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 629
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1