Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tips on switching to a new tank?

ania532

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This weekend I am planning to set up a new 20 gallon long tank and move my axolotl, Little Joe, into there from his current 10 gallon tank. I am new to aquatic animal care so this is the first time I've done something like this, and am quite nervous! Does anyone have any tips? Here are some specific points I'm thinking about in particular:

1.) What's the best/easiest way to actually transport Little Joe from the old tank into the new one? I have one of those green nets, is it safe to just scoop him out of the water and lift him through the air for a few seconds to get into the new tank? Or is there a better way?

2.) Will I have to cycle the new tank all over again? My plan was to first cover the bottom of the new tank with fresh sand, and move over the old hiding rock and fake plants into the new tank, and siphon some of the water from the old tank into the new tank, and fill up the rest with fresh water. Then I'll deinstall the canister filter from the old tank and set it up in the new tank--so all the bacterias should still be in there, right? Hopefully I won't have to go through the cycling process again, it was a nightmare getting the tank to cycle the first time!

And if there are any other tips or things I should be aware of, thank you so much in advance for letting me know!

Murk

Reaction score
Hi!
Switching to a new tank shouldn't be a problem.
To answer your questions:

1.) Yeah, a net is a fine. If you have a small tub, that works as well. Preferably, don't handle axolotls with your bare hands, but even that is not a disaster if it's necessary.

2.) The tank will have to go through its own mini-cycle, but since you'll be re-using the filter and decorations, it will probably be a smaller and shorter cycle.
Most beneficial bacteria will be in the filter medium and the substrate. Did you have sand in the old tank as well? If it's still relatively clean, that could help with keeping bacteria levels as well.
In any case, as long as you have clean water, a small cycle can be done with the axolotl in the tank, no problem. Keep an eye on the water parameters and you should be fine!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!