Titanoboa!!!!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
Reading this newstory made me giddy! LOL with delight at imagining such a creature or with fear? I'm not sure.

http://news.aol.com/article/fossil-...d/329070?icid=200100397x1217878929x1201248052

And purely commentary...

escaped pythons in california

http://news.aol.com/article/pythons-found-after-brief-escape-from/326591?icid=sphere_newsaol_inpage

Ok a couple of issues...

1. California politicians snivel about non native species colonizing their tropical areas and decimating native animal populations. This was their arguement against legalizing ferrets despite the fact that 99% of ferrets purchased come from two large ferret farms and are spayed and neutered before they leave.

But giant exotic snakes are ok? SERIOUSLY??? UGH. Don't get me wrong I know it can happen, look at Florida - they're pretty certain some non native tortoises are breeding there and the same goes for the giant snakes. BUT they don't have colonies of feral ferrets.

2. Terrariums?? A 23 ft snake lives in a terrarium??? MOST of the time when I read a news story about a giant snake that has escaped or killed its owner - at 23 feet they say "escaped its room".

Anyway Titanoboa is FASCINATING!!

Sharon

' "There is no leash law for snakes," said police Sgt. Kurt Hixenbaugh. '

:confused: I wonder where exactly Sgt. Kurt Hixenbaugh suggests one could attach a leash to a snake? :confused:

LOL that line had me cracking up!! I thought he was trying to be funny though.
Sharon

One thing to mention. I think invasive pythons is a bit more difficult than invasive ferrets. Ferrets being warm blooded mammals and they could find a niche in CA a bit easier than a huge python.

I am curious to see science on lifting the ferret ban. I know people say they have been domesticated for a long time. Anyhoo their are currently many pet ferrets in CA. If the ban lifts, I have no problem with that...providing it is not purely due to desires of people to own ferrets.

One thing to mention. I think invasive pythons is a bit more difficult than invasive ferrets. Ferrets being warm blooded mammals and they could find a niche in CA a bit easier than a huge python.

I am curious to see science on lifting the ferret ban. I know people say they have been domesticated for a long time. Anyhoo their are currently many pet ferrets in CA. If the ban lifts, I have no problem with that...providing it is not purely due to desires of people to own ferrets.

I think you're wrong. Pythons have no affection for people. When lost or scared a "domesticated" python doesn't run to humans for help or dogs. Pythons see anything warm as prey. They sleep when they need rest and eat when they are hungry and if that means eating the family dog it grew up with, so be it. It doesn't need its food presented in a dish to satisfy its hunger, there are plenty of loose cats and small dogs and unwatched kids in your average neighborhood. Plenty of crawl spaces where it can do what it likes best - hide, sleep, digest and get warm around hot water pipes. I watch to much animal planet.

Most ferrets are raised with other animals and generally see those animals non threatening even outside their home. Ie. a couple of ferrets that escaped an outdoor playpen that decided to run to my largest guard dog for playtime. He doesn't like ferrets and it was pure luck they didn't die. I happened to know their history and it included that they got along well with cats and large dogs.

The few found ferrets I've heard of RAN TO A HUMAN. Hungry or scared it knows humans provide shelter, food and comfort. If you find yourself chasing a loose ferret - it either hasn't been loose long enough to be hungry or you'd better look again and make sure its not a weasel of some type.

Most ferrets die in the first few hours outside. Its rare for someone to find a ferret that has managed to escape all the neighborhood dogs, feral cats and squealing children. Then there is the matter of finding food since most ferrets are fed kibble they may leap on a bird or a mouse because its running but its not in them to eat it. I know this because my husband mistakenly thought he was helping when he put the gerbil tank on the floor for me. 5 ferrets went into the tank for a killing spree and only one stayed to eat. GAG.

Um and how exactly are a group of spayed and neutered ferrets going to colonize anything? Even independent breeders of ferrets rarely let go of an unspayed animal. Intact males smell stronger as their hormones kick in, and intact females bleed to death if not bred. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of for an animal but I guess its not unheard of.

And the comment about lifting the ban purely for pet owners? Why else would they lift it? Science? Is there a big calling for the study of ferret diet? Ferret health? How much better do ferrets relate to humans versus mice & rats that they would be the better study animal?

This isn't just about me defending one of my favorite animals. I happen to adore snakes as well. However there was already a very good reptile rescue nearby and no need for me to start one, so I took this SN and rescued small unwanted animals.

And I don't sympathise with CA ferret owners either. They are breaking the law, causing other nuts to risk breaking the law to save their pets from euthanasia when a child happens to pipe off at school about their unique pet and animal control steps in confiscate the animal.

Now I've been out of the rescue for almost 7 years. I'm sure a lot has changed. Maybe CA isn't putting every ferret to death thats confiscated.

But I certainly think the tropical inclined python/boa/kingnsnake, etc etc etc etc is more able to survive and procreate in CA warm weather than a bunch of curious spayed and neutered ferrets.

I don't know what the solution is. Education isn't it, because its provided for free and we still have idiots. Chipping every single animal born? Thats a rather daunting number of chips to keep track of. Tatoos? Not sure how feasible that is either.

I quit wishing for world peace and I just wish for fewer morons.

Sharon

Just so it's clear, she meant people who release their pets are morons, not our beloved Fishkeeper...:p

Just so it's clear, she meant people who release their pets are morons, not our beloved Fishkeeper...:p

Totally chagrined, yeah I didn't realise it could be taken that way and then my comp had a seizure before I could come back to edit it and be more clear!!

Thanks Dawn!!

Sharon

Good points. I've heard the whole thing about their domestication...I find it hard to believe though that ferrets are just so domesticated they've totally lost their wild instincts. They still have their prey drive.

I meant that if the ban is lifted, I'm hoping its not solely because of pet owners petitioning, that their is some science behind it to agree that they pose no risk. If ferrets are anything like feral cats those do a whole lotta damage to the environment. But no one is going to clamp down on feral cats because of the number of owners.

I personally think that large snakes like those retics should require some licensing...since ATM anyone with 150 can go buy a Eunectes murinus. But besides Florida, Hawaii, and maybe San Diego I can't see them lasting too long. They are also so big and need things quite warm. In an urban area they'd soon get killed as the cases in Florida suggest. Ain't coyotes thats for sure!

Are ferrets legal in FL?

Its my personal opinion that feral cats are so destructive because of sheer numbers. Its not just the ones that are turned loose, its all the unfixed ones procreating into infinity. Not only are cats killing for food but now they're killing to feed a pregnant body and then to feed kittens.

In actuality that can't happen with ferrets.

And as evidenced by that one incident in my room - there were 17 ferrets loose in that room. From what I saw - only 5 showed any inclination to kill. Its possible more were curious about chasing the gerbils but not for killing and of those 5 only 1 decided to eat. Not only would an escaped ferret have to survive being outside without food, but it would have to find another fixed ferret to mate with of the opposite sex. Frankly the odds of that almost astronomical. If 99% of the purchased ferrets are farm ferrets (spay&neutered) then 1/2% are from private breeders who are not stupid enough to sell an unfixed female who will die when she isn't bred the first time she goes into heat, so only the silly person who wants a really stinky male ferret will opt for the unfixed version, then 1/2% of ferrets sold, come from only god knows where, intact in both sexes.

Will someone good with math figure those odds for me?

Regardless you can see the chances of a ferret running into another ferret are slim, (it has to live long enough to do so) it then has to find another unfixed ferret of the right sex. And then the ferret has to train itself to hunt and eat prey and live long enough to give birth.

Honestly I think I'll see space aliens before I hear of a case of a feral colony of ferrets being discovered. I have to say I've met a few hobbiest ferret breeders who had no idea of what they were getting into when they started buying ferrets to breed (its how I got 17 ferrets in one drop off) people like that could inadvertently create a feral colony if they abandoned their entire breeding group in an isolated place (this guy almost did it until someone gave him this suckers' phone number). But that isn't private pets - thats a breeding situation.

I'm not a scientist or vet - most of the information I have comes from reputable books or reputable people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back