Toad Care: Common and Unusual Species

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Children the world over are often introduced to amphibians when they come across their first toad. Far bolder than typical frogs (and much easier to catch!) most take the indignity of capture by grubby little hands in stride, and leave all who encounter them with a favorable impression. With few exceptions, however, these droll, long-lived amphibians are relatively ignored by pet-keepers and zoos alike. After a lifetime of working with dozens of species, I find this hard to understand. Toads of many species (there are almost 600!) take well to captivity, and often become as responsive as do turtles. Nearly all feed readily from the hand, and they are frequently described as “charming” by owners. Many are active by day, while others are quick to discard their nocturnal ways. I still find American Toads and other common species as fascinating as Kihansi Spray Toads (which produce tiny toadlets rather than eggs!), Blomberg’s Toads and the other rarities I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. Read the rest of this article here Amphibians as Pets: Care of Common and Unusual Types of Toads
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Adam the axie:
    so much diversity in amphibians
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there arent that many where i live though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    saddd
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Maeve has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nemo:
    How long will it take for waterdog to morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    Hello guys! I posted a new thread and I need help determining two axolotls gwbder
    +1
    Unlike
  • ArpTheAxolotl:
    gender*
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! My nitrates won’t go up! They are at 0ppm and so is my ammonia and nitrites. Can I put my axolotl in the tank without the nitrates or does the axolotl need them? If not how do I get my nitrates up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Help!! I am cycling my tank for an axolotl, but nothing is moving up or down. These are my levels
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Ammonia 0ppm
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kennakat123:
    Nitrite 0ppm. Nitrate 0ppm Do axolotls need nitrates?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Are you cycling?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    0ppm nitrates would indicate your tank isn't cycled and therefore it isn't safe to add in the axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You should be dosing the tank with ammonia to cycle it, which would then be converted into nitrite and then nitrate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    there a salamander farm in the US?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    i dont think so
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    there are breeders though
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    soon to include myself!! hoping for eggs this summer :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    nvm my male has fungus and i’m paranoid he’s gonna die so maybe no eggs ;(
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chak:
    @axolotl nerd do you know how to treat fungus correctly? You don't wanna wait. No pressure, but my cousin's axolotl had a tiny bit of fungus on the tail and a day later it took over the whole body and it died.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    does any one know where i can find simple cage setup for fire salamanders on here. I know some like to give it a realistic setup but I always believe in simple setup and care in the right as long as animal is happy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Adam the axie:
    you can probably make your own out of a big enough plastic bin
    +1
    Unlike
  • blackxreptiles:
    well i have a 20 gallon tank. but do most use paper towels and a plastic hiding spot and replace paper towels weekly?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: @Chak, yeah he’s being treated rn. he has a tiny bit on his gills and i caught it early +1