Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toad patrol in Nottingham

aramcheck

Reaction score
Not about caudates, but I guess we all love toads!

One of the main breeding site for the Common Toad (Bufo bufo) in Notts is a pond by a dead end road, you would think that the road being a dead end, it is not that much of a problem, but the road deserve a small commuter village, and a mansion which is now a hotel/conference/weeding venue, and this create a lot of incoming traffic at rush hour, and especially of problem for the migrant toads, the venue is often creating a flux of leaving vehicle around 9.30pm, with catastrophic results, to make matter worst, the pound is in a field grazed by cattle and for 3/4 of its length, the field is separated from the road by 2 feet tall wall!!!

My daughter and myself went on Toad patrol last Friday and Saturday, Friday temps were borderline (about 8c) but it was the first warmish day of this belated spring, and it had rained, so I hoped the toads were as impatient as I was and decided to start moving, at first it looked like I had been wrong, all we found was definitely not some toads, even though they did distract my assistant somewhat:

521883_10151861745487571_1662926421_n.jpg

then as night fell, we fond a single couple in amplexus

903433_10151861743112571_1509241916_o.jpg

my phone camera did not work well in the dark and my wet fingers could not operate the touch screen, but we then found dozen of frogs, maybe 20 toads and a solitary female smooth newt. I was the first time I took my 4 year old daughter to toad patrol, and she was delighted.

Saturday evening, the weather felt a bit colder, but damper, and my daughter had caught the bug and really wanted to come again, the word had come out that the migration had started, and there were maybe a dozen volunteers at the site, and toads came tumbling down the fields and woods onto the road, but this time, very few frogs, my daughter could not believe it and got rather over excited

10056_10151863532302571_322150824_n.jpg

people were coming back to the pond with bucketful of toads, I lost count but I reckon several hundreds were put into the pond during the two hours we were there!

I am going back next week end and I'll take a good camera...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1