Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toads on Roads

Peter Parrot

Reaction score
It`s that time of year again and we now have three seperate sites which we are looking after simultaneously. The pics below are from a new site. A mile long stretch of road with woodland one side and a canal the other.

The first night we spent there gave us a result of 68 toads, 4 palmate newts and 5 frogs which were crossing back the other way having finished spawning.

The second night gave us 24 toads, two palmate newts and a single frog also crossing back. 6 of the toads were females crossing back having deposited their spawn.

Last night was too cold and dry and no amphibians were about as was this evening. The next lot of rain will bring another surge of activity.

Attachments

• 68%205%204.jpg
    68%205%204.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 471
  • day2.jpg
    day2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 395
  • palmates.jpg
    palmates.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 390

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Great job, Peter. Good luck witht he rest of the season. Is there no chance of getting toad tunnels put in?

Peter Parrot

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

This particular site comprises of a mile and a half stretch of fast road. The forest side of the road where the toads are coming from is also a very steep wooded incline. Toad tunnels would of course be marvellous, but it would take a fair amount of money and some engineering to sort out, and would of course also involve a fair amount of tree felling and excavation.

19 toads tonight and 9 palmate newts. Some of the toads were females on their way back from spawning, some of them were on their way to the spawning site. I have noticed that the breeding season these days is far less "explosive" and far more protracted than 30 plus years ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1