Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toe difference on tiger salamanders?

Newtmander

Reaction score
Hello

I have three tiger salamanders that are around a year old and I was really looking at them today and I noticed that one of them has four toes in the front and five in the back (like normal) but my other two have four toes in the front and back, but has no signs of the toes being bitten off or torn. They just look like normal feet but with four toes? I don't think that both salamanders would have just one of each toe bitten off on each back foot? What do you think this is, I have tried looking it up but I can't find anything on it. Please help of you can.

Daimler

Reaction score
its normal, also my pleurodeles has different toes each other (also some humans has different toes).
Its genetics :alien:

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Some salamanders exhibit limb abnormalities in adulthood. It's totally normal. All salamanders have four digits in front and five in back and all salamanders are capable of regrowing limbs. A likely cause of missing toes is that the limb did not grow back fully during the regeneration process and that's fine.. One of my axolotls has a limb deformity because he didn't regenerate his limb fully and only has two digits on one of his front limbs.

Newtmander

Reaction score
Thank you for answering my question, I just didn't want anything bad the happen to them..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1