Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tomato frog illness Please Help!

themamaj

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2 year old male tomato frog housed in an 18x18 exoterra bioactive enclosure. I have had him for the entire 2 years. He has always been healthy, active, big talker and major escape artist. Monday I noticed Bob had been hanging out more in his hidey hole. That is not unusual for him to find a spot and sit especially if he is full and happy. I roused him out of his spot and noticed he had significant swelling under his eyes. I was really startled by this as had been perfectly fine prior. I immediately scheduled a visit with my exotic vet. She saw him on Thursday. I was concerned of possible hypovitamintosis because of similiarities of symptoms though I regularly dust his insects with Repashy calcium plus that contains vitamin A. My vet had no idea. We are treating him with an antibacterial eye drop, Ofloxacin. No improvements. Vet wants me to call tomorrow for update and to possibly try another treatment. She is an outstanding vet but obviously doesn't see a lot of frogs in her practice. Has anyone run into an issue similar to this? Any suggestions would be really helpful for me to discuss with vet tomorrow. Bob is a very special frog to me and want to do everything I can to help him. First 2 pictures are Monday. Last 2 tonight.

Attachments

• bob1.jpg
    bob1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,070
  • bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 958
  • bob3.jpg
    bob3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,282
  • bob4.jpg
    bob4.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,532

themamaj

Reaction score
Just an update: swelling continues to progress. We added an oral antibiotic today, Enroflaxcin. Continuing to monitor and will recheck with the vet Monday. I hope sharing this will help find an answer for Bob and any other frog that might be effected in the same way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1