Too much ammonia

jctkc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
Hello All,

I am having problems with my Axies in the tank. They produce too much ammonia which causes me to change their tank water constantly. I know that isn't good, but neither keeping them in ammonia. I have tried ammonia reducers and ammo lock, but it just doesn't seem to help. Would adding plants help?

Thank you
Justin

Did you cycle your tank? You need bacteria in your tank that change ammonia into nitrite, and then nitrite into nitrate (which is what the plants would help with). And you would have those bacteria by cycling your tank. (I guess plants would give the bacteria surface area to live on but it wouldn't be a direct help, that I know of.)
I haven't tried them myself and so have no experience, but I don't think those "ammonia reducers" are actually very good.

How can I cycle my tank?

Also, how large is your tank and how many animals are you keeping in it?

Cheers

And what temperature is the water?

What filtration are you using?

How often do you clean the substrate?

Thank you, that was a very valuable source for me. I am looking into owning an axolotl and cycling is VERY necessay!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back