Too thin axolotl???

Little lotl

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi I have 1 lecustic axolotl and a wild type I am feeding them half a bloodworm tablet each every other day and I am wondering if they are too thin today I sprinkled in an extra tablet but they didn't touch it??????? I have no idea what's going on but I know they are maybe too thin because there heads are smaller than there body's I have purchased salmon pellets and feed it to them along with the tablets does anyone know what i should try. I am willing to spend money if needs be!!!!!!

Re: To thin axolotl???

Could you post photos? Maybe from above and from the side? How long are the axolotls?

There are lots of questions that need to answered before anyone can give you an answer:
How big are your axies?
How old are they?
How long have you had them?
What are their tank/s like?
Is the tank(s) cycled?
What kind of 'tablet' are you talking about?
We need photos - can you post some?

image.jpg

I keep them both in a 96 litres (25 gallons) they're both 4-5 inches and I feed them soft salmon pellets about three each every other day along with a bloodworm tablets. I've had them for 3 months and they are about 1 year old.

5" is unusually small for year-old axies. They may be younger than you thought, but after 3 months you'd expect to see 2-3" growth. Starting on pellets is a good step, because they will be more nutritionally complete than bloodworms. Check out the caresheets on feeding and water quality so you can give your pets their best chance to gain weight and catch up on growth.

I have now started feeding them both every day now and they are both putting on weight well. My wild type is actually thinner than her because she was eating his food, I have a tank separator and I am putting it in while they are feeding so they both get the same amount of food, it is seeming to work at the moment but has anyone else got any opinions. I am now purchasing Dendroabena earthworms because apparently they are good for axolotls and they are easy to keep. Is this actually the best choice?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back