Total Tank Overhaul

Skunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my axies since April, and they've been doing great :) They eat sinking pellets, frozen (and sometimes live) bloodworm and they live in a 50L tank (to be upgraded when they're bigger)

However, I had them on sand, originally it was about 2" deep and of course, I had a problem with anaerobic areas under the sand :( I stirred the sand every day when I picked up food, etc with a piece of airline, but I still had the problem. I removed a large majority of the sand and they are now on 5mm at the most of sand, in some areas it's bare where they have moved it around themselves. And even with such a small depth I still get green sand :(

They are also currently running on a sponge filter as the internal failed in the last few days. I also have a problem with planaria (come about in the last few days, likely underpowered filter).

What I'm thinking of doing is putting in either gravel that is <1mm or much larger than the size of their heads. I have gravel in my other tanks (coldwater Ranchus) and so will be able to vacuum the gravel, etc.

I'm going to get a new filter, and some more hides for them.

It did used to be planted, but in low light conditions they soon died :/ (My axie tank was my first and I've learnt a lot, even just about keeping plants!)

Stats are all good, and they are still happy,active and eating.

So, advice on gravel (I know it tends to be a big no-no, but I've also read about it being ok in certain sizes), filters and anything else I can do to enrich their lives.

Thanks a lot.

How the tank looked about 2 months ago.

4640630804_1d4715b802_z.jpg

I find large stones are very hard to clean, as stuff gets all underneath them and such. I suggest black sand! Never goes green. ;)

I use grey sand and I have never had a problem with it.

Hmmm, will have a look at my options later today when I go to the lfs.

Thanks for the advice though, any kind of info is useful :p

Does black sand never go green, just because you can't see it? :p But still have the same problem?

Yo I have pure white sand at about 2 - 2.5 cm deep and it has never gone green! the only thing I noticed was when transfering the sand over to another tank it had a slight pinkish tinge to it, just very slightly! I dont think anerobic decay makes sand green (could be wrong ive never experienced it) it makes the water smell foul!

Maybe what you are seeing could be algae? I use very little in the way of lighting that would promote any kind of algae growth in my axie tank so that might be why I never see anything! I have had the same bright white sand in my tank since early march (a good 6 months now) and its as clean, white and bright as the day I got it!

I'd just steer clear of stones and gravel full stop, no matter what size. Its just not worth the risk and trust me sand is by far the easiest substrate to maintain and keep clean! I have a variety of gravels, stones, glass bits in my other (non axie) tanks and they are a nightmare I wish I had sand in all of them!

Well, I removed all of the sand, got rid of a lot of detritus with it too. I bought some very large polished stones (not enough to cover even half of the tank floor) and I also got a new internal filter, so that is running along side the sponge until it's matured.

This is just temporary until I can find some good sand like what Ed has.

Thanks for opinions, advice and personal stories :)

if you want to give your filter a 'kick start' put some either tap safe or "cycle" or any other kindof bio activeness on the sponge, I know it's a bit late now, and you probably already know this, but just a tip for next time. I do it every time I change the media.

I've never heard of green sand before, sounds like a bit of algae is growing in your tank.

Yeah, I think it may have been an algae problem, but it really stunk, awful :(

Axies are feeding fine despite a bit of upheaval (they were in a plastic tank while I was sorting out there new one, not much of a water change though, just a top up)

You could always do a slate bottom, I'll never go back to sand again after setting up mine.

I've never heard of green sand before, sounds like a bit of algae is growing in your tank.

That would be my guess and give it really stinks I'd go with a strand of Cyanobacteria (bluegreen algae, although they are not all bluegreen, the can be anything from green to bluegreen to brown and are more of a film/sludge/slime than a typical algae)
That's the only thing that has ever sent our sand green in any of out tanks.

It flourishes in the presence of extra Phosphate & Nitrates Generally brought about by excess food in the tank or infrequent water changes. Unfortunately it really LOVES low water flow making Axie tanks PERFECT :(

We've just finished dealing with it in our tank, nasty stuff it is.
This is what it looked like on our sand. The big blob is obvious but you can see the faint green all over the sand spreading out from around it. It used to be a pale tan coloured sand.
mereb-albums-mission-kill-cyanobacteria-picture12046-enemy-sand-pre-treatment.jpg

I'm glad you are cleaning it out. Make sure to be extra clean food-wise when it's all cleaned out.

I took the pebbles that I'd put in, and bought a fresh bag of sand, and used that, let it settle before putting the axies back. I've also got them a food bowl, so that will help.

Excess food was probably it :/ as I fed them 3 times a day, a few sinking pellets each, and frozen blood worm at one of those feedings.

Learnt my lesson! And thankfully axies haven't suffered.

Though, i did notice that the leucistic's head was a red-purple, I know their gills go red when active, but never seen their head do that :/

Though, i did notice that the leucistic's head was a red-purple, I know their gills go red when active, but never seen their head do that :/
Please post a photo as soon as you can.
Hopefully the next post will be by an experienced axie keeper, and photos is the first thing that they'll ask for.....
Is it just when he's active, or more permanent?
(Sorry if I'm being concerned for no reason, I'm just starting to learn about axies, myself, but the 'red/purple' bit prompted me to post)

All the best, KW

Seems that it was just while she was active, she's snoozing around the bottom of the tank now and her head isn't red.

It is worrying though when you don't know these things! I used to think that when their gills were red it would be something to do with high ammonia :/!

Sometimes my leucistics face goes a bit red when he's active looks like high blood pressure or bruises, Its just the raise in blood flow.

Mel

Sometimes my leucistics face goes a bit red when he's active looks like high blood pressure or bruises, Its just the raise in blood flow.

Mel

Yeh, thats what I thought it would be :) Looks pretty awful though, start worrying about her!

Well, unexpectedly, I got two more tanks today, a 109L for £15 ($23usd) and a 36L for £5 ($8usd) :) So, the 109L will be my axies new home!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back