Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transferring Axolotl to new tank

Reaction score
Hi guys! I’ve had my axie (toothpick) since September, he is about 10 months old. Since September, I’ve had him in a 5 gallon tank (I know, too small), so the other day I finally was able to get a 20 gallon tank. It’s currently running with a very good filter, live plants, new decor, and some fake plants that I moved from his 5 gallon (so the bacteria is on it). Anyways...
When I first got my axoltol, I did not know too much about the cycling process until after I put him in the tank. Once I started researching more, I ended up cycling the tank with my axie in it and he seems to be perfectly fine. I only had one ammonia spike which I fixed instantly.
my question is, I really want to get toothpick into his new tank as soon as possible. He is a big guy, and he is obviously cramped in his tank. I was Intially going to do the cycling process without him in the tank, but that can take a while. So I was wondering how I should go about cycling the 20 gallon with my axie in it? A 5 gallon wasn’t too hard when I did it, should I just do the same things? (Water perimeter checks everyday, 25% water change every other day?).
also, should I bring the sponge I have in my 5 gallon filter over into my new filter to increase bacteria?
I want to do this as safely as possible, so any advice would be great!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Use the current 5g filter do not rinse it prior to moving it to the new tank and squeeze it several times in the new clean tank water to release a bunch of the bacteria to seed the new filter.

At minimum use a nitrifying bacteria supplement for at least 1 week at the highest daily dose.
Test daily and be prepared to use prime daily to bind the ammonia and nitrite mini cycle spikes.

IF anything gets too high tub him even in the 5g with 100% daily water changes

Reaction score
Use the current 5g filter do not rinse it prior to moving it to the new tank and squeeze it several times in the new clean tank water to release a bunch of the bacteria to seed the new filter.

At minimum use a nitrifying bacteria supplement for at least 1 week at the highest daily dose.
Test daily and be prepared to use prime daily to bind the ammonia and nitrite mini cycle spikes.

IF anything gets too high tub him even in the 5g with 100% daily water changes
Perfect! Thank you so much. Everything seems to be going great so far :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1