Tree frog tadpole finally grew back legs

grassguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I have been raising tree frog tadpoles for 1-3 months now and finally one of the survivors grew it's back legs. Any ideas for growing tadpoles?

I've raised thousands of grey tree frogs, stock up on algae wafers and some water plants,once they morph I started them on pinheads but got expensive quick so I switched to termites for 50%of dirt,I release hundreds every year

Congrats! I have been raising pacifics and almost all have turned into tiny frogs now. I change half the water in the tadpole bucket daily, replacing it with mineral water, and give them some green leaf cooked then frozen and defrosted. When pouring in new water, try to pour it down the side of the bucket so you don’t hurt the tads.

When they get their two front legs, I gently move them (with a cup) to a plastic deli cup with a little mineral water, on its side slightly, so they can crawl out. I change some of that water daily, too.

When their tail is gone, I put them in a critter keeper with queen sized panty hose (legs cut off) over the top so they can eat melanogaster fruit flies. If you put the panty hose leg holes on top, you can close them with a twist tie and you have access to the critter keeper without the frogs or flies getting out.

In the critter keeper, I put paper napkins as substrate so I can keep them clean, and tiny water dishes. I mist them at night when the flies are gone.

When the tiny frogs are bigger, I will put them in a terrarium that is more naturalistic.

Enjoy your little guys!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back