Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus cristatus

Cjbond

Reaction score
Having a hard time finding what exactly makes crested newts happy. I’m working a better land area, but I know they prefer water.
They’re eating, and swimming around exploring And showing out.
Is a chiller the only way to keep the tank cool?
I’m anoob, but know 85% of what I’m doing. Just want my little guys to have a perfect happy home.

Last edited:

kwarzym

Reaction score
Have you checked the care guide for them? Caudata Culture Species Entry - Crested Triturus species

Some people freeze a couple bottles of water and keep them in a rotation of adding and removing 1 from the tank each day.

Do you know how old your newts are? Are they adults? Adults are primarily aquatic, so they will rarely go on land. If your newts are eating and exploring, I wouldn't be too worried.

Cjbond

Reaction score
They are young. Eating some blood works. But they are acting normal. They have access to land so I’m not too worried. Aren’t they cute?

Attachments

• 3DE77F78-C880-46E1-AEB4-DAF23287BDEB.jpeg
    3DE77F78-C880-46E1-AEB4-DAF23287BDEB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118

Cjbond

Reaction score
Have you checked the care guide for them? Caudata Culture Species Entry - Crested Triturus species

Some people freeze a couple bottles of water and keep them in a rotation of adding and removing 1 from the tank each day.

Do you know how old your newts are? Are they adults? Adults are primarily aquatic, so they will rarely go on land. If your newts are eating and exploring, I wouldn't be too worried.
Thank you sorry for being snotty.

Cjbond

Reaction score

Learned a bit more since last time. They are young adults. Is there a way of telling if they’ve morphed to adults? Sorry if that sounds so stupid.
I can see genitals on one, but not the other.
Thanks!

kwarzym

Reaction score
For my Cynops Orientalis, the most obvious change they went through as juveniles to adults was that their tails became thinner, more suitable for swimming (becoming more vertical and tighter horizontally). That, combined with size, is probably the best indicators if you don't know when they morphed to juveniles or originally hatched - but even then, you can have juveniles that return to the water early or just love to eat (and grow big faster), so these aren't foolproof checks.
You would know for sure if they were male adults if they developed a crest or something!

Cjbond

Reaction score
I’m redoing the tank now that I’m thinking they’re younger than I thought originally. Adding more land, but they love the water.
when I turn on the light in the morning they come out of the plants and wait for food. Only feeding every other day. How often do you feed? Thanks for the info!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!