Triturus dobrogicus

werds

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Wonderfull progress of your newts, please don´t stop to tell us some news about them!

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Great thread, fantastic pics of such lovely little newts.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Wonderfull progress of your newts, please don´t stop to tell us some news about them!

Of course I will keep you updated. In the meantime everyone is welcome to post their own T. dobrogicus pictures and/or experiences. :happy:

Ciao!

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
The Escapist

Just some shots of my newts hanging out together between Elodea plants. I think the last one is planning an escape *lol*. ;)

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 31a.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 31a.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Triturus dobrogicus 32.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 32.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Triturus dobrogicus 34.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 34.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Triturus dobrogicus 36.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 36.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 394

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Piggyback

At the moment we are suffering under a heatwave in most parts of europe.
I am cooling my tank with crushed ice to keep the water-temperature below 25 °C while room-temperature rises to 27 °C.
Temperatures above 30 °C are rare where I live and usually don't stay long. The weather forecast says that it will get colder next week.
Compared with the place (Tulcea) where my newts origin, my home climate is considered mild. So I am very sure that Triturus dobrogicus is well adapted to higher temperatures.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 38.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 38.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 338
  • Triturus dobrogicus40.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus40.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Tulcea climate II.jpg
    Tulcea climate II.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 339
  • Wuppertal climate.jpg
    Wuppertal climate.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 341

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Please sex my newt!

Female or male? What sex is it?

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 44.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 44.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 380

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thank you! :happy: That is also my opinion. The cloaca on a male would be larger and black and the bottom edge of it's tail would be black too.
My last hope is that it's still a juvenile coloration otherwise I have to deal with four females. ;)

And it will be a pain in the quite complicated to get my hands on a male of that specific location. I hope the breeder still keeps these newts.

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's getting colder and my newts are more often on land, especially at night. One of them managed to burrow a hole into the moss. During the day they usually get into the water again, so it's easy to feed them and right now I'm feeding them a lot. Luckily I'm having an easy time finding nightcrawlers and slugs, because of the wet and cold weather conditions.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 45.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 45.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 366
  • Triturus dobrogicus 42.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 42.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 364
  • Triturus dobrogicus 41.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 41.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 353

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
To prepare my newts for hibernation I increased the amount of food. In the last two weeks I fed them almost daily and now they are fat and round (check out the pictures) and ready to hibernate. Water temperatures are below 10 degrees Celsius already. I'll still keep my newts aquatic for the next week without feeding and then relocate them to their hibernation terrarium. Pictures of my hibernation-setup will follow soon.

Attachments

• danube crested newt well fed.jpg
    danube crested newt well fed.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 348
  • danube crested newt forum.jpg
    danube crested newt forum.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 344

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Usually I prefer a simple and hygienic set up for hibernation; just a few hiding spots and a layer of damp paper towel for moistening. It's super easy to clean and safe for the newts/salamanders.
But this time I choose to use a bit more complex set up with soil, moss and a few stones as well. The substrate is piled up in one corner of the terrarium (40x30x25 cm w/d/h) and 15 cm deep. The newts can either dig into the soil or use the wooden hiding spots. On top I placed some moos to increase the capability of keeping the moisture. The small slate plate is an aid for skin shedding. On the left I will add a shallow bowl with water, when the newts move in.
As a lid I use a stainless steel grid and rubber plugs for the drilling.

Attachments

• hibernation set-up.jpg
    hibernation set-up.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 324
  • Hibernation set-up salamander perspective.jpg
    Hibernation set-up salamander perspective.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 326
  • hibernation set-up close up.jpg
    hibernation set-up close up.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
  • hibernation set up close up II.jpg
    hibernation set up close up II.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 316

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I placed my newts back to their aquarium. All four of them are fine after two month of hibernating. They barely lost any weight and are currently hunting down the Asellus shrimps that multiplied over the last weeks. :happy:
It`s super chilly (~10 °C) in my herp room with 6 °C water temperature and dim lightning, so it was definitely not a big joy to take these pictures, while shivering. But I am too passionate for this forum. ;)

Attachments

• Triturus dorsal view.jpg
    Triturus dorsal view.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Triturus eating Asellus.jpg
    Triturus eating Asellus.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 269

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Eggs!!!

Today is my day off, so I had time to watch my newts and while I took a closer look I found two eggs! :happy:

No crested males so far, but I hope those eggs are fertilized. I am going to seperate the eggs and definitely try to raise them. It's quite certain that there will be even more eggs in the next days. So exciting!

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus egg IV.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus egg IV.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Triturus dobrogicus egg III.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus egg III.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 254
  • byebye.jpg
    byebye.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 278

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Bad news. The eggs weren't fertilized and didn't develop. :(
The females deposited several eggs per day between leaves, but all of them went moldy a few days later and disappeared soon.
My number one priority for this year is to get a suitable male for my group of four females.

Gersfeld 2019 #count me in# :D

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Danube crested newt between moss and lichen. :happy:

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 48.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 48.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Triturus dobrogicus 47.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 47.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 233

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Green spot algae

Man it is so hard to remove that algae. My algae scraper was useless, I even tried my credit card, but it didn´t work either. :violent:
I just added new razor blades on my grocery list!
And to lose a few words about the actual topic... isn´t that newt beautiful? I really like her, because she is so different. She is so much lighter, yet more colorful than my other crested newts. Since she is the smallest of the group, I feed her directly with the tweezers to ensure she gets an extra portion.

Attachments

• Algae.jpg
    Algae.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 248

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Triturus dobrogicus MALES!

I finally purchased two males. Breeding season is basically over, so the crests are shrunken. But maybe they will spawn in autumn and develop their breeding dress again.

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus male II.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus male II.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Triturus dobrogicus male III.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus male III.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Triturus dobrogicus male IV.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus male IV.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 244

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Today one of the males tried to mate with the female, but she kicked him away and leaves him in the dust. :D

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus male and female.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus male and female.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 217
  • kicked him away.jpg
    kicked him away.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 213

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
After seeing on facebook that many crested newts are already being in full breeding mode, I decided to end hibernation yesterday. My newts were hibernating fully aquatic and the males started to crest up (5 °C water temperature!). After putting them back indoors they begin to mate the next day at water temperatures of 11 degrees Celsius. :happy:

Attachments

• Triturus dobrogicus 51.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus 51.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Triturus dobrogicus mating.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus mating.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Triturus dobrogicus cresting up.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus cresting up.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Triturus dobrogicus female.jpg
    Triturus dobrogicus female.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 159
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • maddyb9903:
    Hello guys! I was wondering about nitrates in an axolotl tank. If there are 0 nitrates, will that harm the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    0 nitrates doesn't sound dangerous, but it does sound very unlikely if the tank is fully cycled. Are you positive you're performing the test correctly? If you're using the API one, that is by far the trickiest test to do right. If the reading is correct, I would guess that either your tank is not cycled, you just did like a 100% water change, or that you have plants sucking up the nitrates, but even those shouldn't leave you with 0.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dragonfire:
    0 is fine unless the tank isn't cycled. Most tanks definitely won't run at 0, but I've had fast growing emergent plants drop nutrients so low that other plants like floaters were choked out and began dying so it isn't impossible. Some less sensitive kits may read 0 but they are just not precise enough to give an accurate low level reading too.
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    Hey Yall my Axolotl has this like tail thats like a dent on the top, I was told it was meant stress but idk whats stressing out my Axolotl. The plants recently gotten moved since they were falling apart but like she's been eating/pooping fine and the temp and water tests are good for the Axolotl. So I don't really know whats causing her to be stress. Does anyone know anything?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Post a picture of the dent (in the "Sick Axolotl" thread) please
    +2
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    How do I do that? Im new to this website
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    nvm I found ot
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    *it
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    did it
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    SalamanderNick has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Skeemloc:
    Hey are any still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! I’m having an issue with my filter and was hoping for some suggestions. I use an aqua clear 20-50 gallon filter for my 20 gallon axolotl tank. It has worked great since I got it back in December! Recently though, I’ve noticed the flow of the water has turned into more of an intense trickle than a constant flow (if that makes any sense?) I thought it may be something was stuck in the filter or maybe the sponge needed to be swished around in tank water, so I did both of these and it still trickles. It’s a very strong trickle, so the tank is still getting good filtration. It is just so loud and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there’s a way to fix it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Hmm, I don't know much about those filters, and I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, but could it be simply that your filtration media is arranged in a different way? Or maybe you're losing water content to evaporation? Just throwing out ideas. 😁 Again, I don't really know much about that kind of filter
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Hello all. My male axolotl's cloaca hasn't been looking quite right for 13 days. When I first noticed it, I immediately checked the temperature of his tank and it was around 70-71. Way too warm for him, so I took him out and have had him tubbed in the basement ever since. The temperature of his water is now 64-65. The issue seems to be that one 'half' of his cloaca is flared out and has white fuzzy stuff on it. It almost looks like a bunch of little white spikes of hair. Only one half is this way. Sometimes said half is flared out almost all the way, and other times it's almost completely back inside of him. I had him in tea baths overnight for probably five days, and then a solid 24 hours of mild tea for around three days. I don't remember exactly, my apologies.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Since it was looking better (not flared out so I couldn't tell if it was still fuzzy) I put him back in plain, dechlorinated water. He gets daily water changes, always dechlorinated. The tea I used was plain black tea. The brand was Lipton and it came in a large box, purchased from the grocery store. Does anybody know what this could be? I found a couple old threads with a similar issue, but nobody ever replied to them. I can post a thread if you'd like some pictures, but they aren't very good. My camera was having trouble focusing and my axolotl kept moving.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hey guys! Just made a post asking for help with an injured eastern newt. I could really use some help. if you would read it, I would really appreciate 🙏😌
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nexbane:
    @Audrey22, A salt bath *might* be a good idea, but I have never heard of them used for anything but axolotls. I would think as simplistic of a setup as possible would be best. Are you a member of the newts & salamanders group on facebook? You might have better luck getting more information quickly there! lots of the same members as here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe and absorb through their skin like sallies? Thats what I'm afraid of. Because I don't want them to absorb salt if that will hurt them. Anyways, I'll look at Facebook too
    +2
    Unlike
  • gulickje:
    I need guidance… my lotls been struggling. How do i tell if theres anything noticably wrong woth Trudeau? I dont see a way to post a pic here. Hes got like a pinkish spine like down back but everything else looks normal i think. Trixie( my MEL) has been pretty good i think. Both in same tank. Eat same food etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @gulickje, could you make a thread in the sick axolotls section? You can put pictures there and it's easier for multiple people with axolotl knowledge to help you out. For now, we can't do much without seeing it and asking lots of questions. What is the water temperature? What's the tank like? (substrate, water conditions, any sharp decorations?) What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    Hello... I was wondering if someone could please check out the thread I posted, I’m genuinely concerned for my Axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    It’s under the axolotl section “ baby axolotl broken fingers ? “
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I saw it. It looks like the axie may have regrown those fingers after being nipped and they grew weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    Thank you for responding. His fingers were fine the day before I used the net, his fingers were perfectly fine and I don’t have any other axies so I knew he definitely he wasn’t nipped
    +1
    Unlike
  • JasPinturas:
    When I noticed his little fingers were split, after I used the net
    +1
    Unlike
    JasPinturas: When I noticed his little fingers were split, after I used the net +1