Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus marmoratus morph help

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
Hello guys, my t.marmoratus larvae are starting to morphing, i already havê 2 out of Walter with +/- 5cm each, i wanna know how much time should i wait to start feeding them...

I already tried to feed one of them bloodworms with tweezers but he didnt showed any sign of interest...

It's hard to keep my aqua temperatura belos <23°C any tips to get it more cold ?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Cooler is better, I kept mine in a shaded spot in the garden and they stayed below 20 degrees C ( I can't do the little '0' )
I keep new morphs for a few days on damp kitchen paper and offered small chopped earthworm, white worm and greenfly/ fruitfly.. they also like small woodlice. Once I see they are eating I transfer to a soil based tub with lots of dried leaves (oak in my case) , with all the above food. I then just add food every few days.

Helder Duarte

Reaction score
They still no show any sign of interest in the earthworms, do you put the worms with them in a tapperware and you wait a day or two until he eat the worm?

JM29

Reaction score
That seems normal : metamorphs often stay a few days without eating.
Probably because of the important modifications of their jaws.

That's why it's very important for them to have been well fed before metamorphosis.
And Julia is right : cooler is better, at least to avoid them to loose too much energy.

I recently had to wait 6 days for a metamorph Tylototriton verrucosus to start eating again.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I leave the food in with them. The live food will be fine left with the marms, chopped worms should be removed within 12 hours or so. Disturb them as little as possible and soon you'll start to see them with little round bellies :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1