Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus montandoni larvae

D

david

I've had some success at breeding my montandoni this season and would love any tips on raising the larvae. I started them off with bbs and then they graduated to daphnia. The largest larvae are now getting chopped live blackworms. The first thing I noticed about them was they develope all four legs faster then my marmortus and cristatus. I assume this is because they often breed in shallower, more temporary pools, where it can dry up quickly on them. Is it safe to assume they morph faster then the other species mentioned?

J

juraj

Hi David,
yes, they morph fast and they are extremely tiny morphs. One thing to delay the metamorphose is keep them cold. What is the temperature in your tank ?

D

david

About 11 to 12 degrees celsius. Any chance of keeping them aquatic for a while once they morph?

J

juraj

I doubt there is any. They are excellent climbers and have no problem leave the water.

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000"> Low temperatures would delay all of the upbringing including hatching and metamorphose. Changing into small terrestrial juveniles can be a big problem if you try and make them aquatic beyond their wishes. If you try , keep an extra TIGHT lid on the tank. I've had tiny morphs that go "land crazy" by hanging on the plastic top piece of my tanks just below the screened top. Some tanks are not as tight as others for fugitives at large.
</font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1