Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Two females or not?

Josephines

Reaction score
Hello!

About a month or so ago now, my then-wife got us two axolotls, an albino and a wildtype, named Pinky and the Brain. They've gotten so much bigger already than they were when we got them, and while Pinky's gills weren't very big or colorful, they're bright and fluffy now, though you can't see it well in pictures. I'm inclined to believe they're happy and healthy. However, since it is the first time in my life I've had axolotls and learn most of the things I know from people on here and experience itself, I find myself entirely incapable of deciding on gender. My ex-wife believes that Pinky is a boy and Brain a girl, but I'm inclined to say that they're both females. Brain's 'toe tips' have already discolored, Pinky's slightly, so I feel they might be old enough to tell now, but I just can't decide myself!

Pictures attached. If any of you could maybe provide certainty, I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20170117_002255.jpg
    20170117_002255.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 20170116_204840.jpg
    20170116_204840.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 20170116_194505.jpg
    20170116_194505.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 254

roxannestags

Reaction score
Hello!

About a month or so ago now, my then-wife got us two axolotls, an albino and a wildtype, named Pinky and the Brain. They've gotten so much bigger already than they were when we got them, and while Pinky's gills weren't very big or colorful, they're bright and fluffy now, though you can't see it well in pictures. I'm inclined to believe they're happy and healthy. However, since it is the first time in my life I've had axolotls and learn most of the things I know from people on here and experience itself, I find myself entirely incapable of deciding on gender. My ex-wife believes that Pinky is a boy and Brain a girl, but I'm inclined to say that they're both females. Brain's 'toe tips' have already discolored, Pinky's slightly, so I feel they might be old enough to tell now, but I just can't decide myself!

Pictures attached. If any of you could maybe provide certainty, I'd appreciate it!
They look female to me. I'm not an expert though

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Skudo09

Reaction score
The dark toe tips doesn't mean they have reached sexual maturity. However from the pics I would say female for both at this stage. Do you know how old they are? Make sure your tank has a healthy cycle established and water quality is maintained.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!