Two larvae

J

juraj

A larvae which has been living on the parents tank and average sized larvae taken from
34386.jpg

here
34387.jpg

Hello Juraj,

I have noticed the same growth difference with my Cynops orientalis larvae. The ones left in the parent tank attain a much larger size sooner, than those that are harvested from the parent tank. But there are also much fewer larvae that live in the parent tank than those that I have taken out and put into a controlled environment. Of course there are many factors involved. I now do both - that is, leave some eggs in parent tank, and take some out.

By the way, your larvae are really interesting to look at, very beautiful. Thanks for your pics!

Interesting comparison. I have raised many C. pyrrhogaster both with the parents and separately (and some spent the early growth in the parental tank, then were separated). Based on my non-scientific observations, I think the larvae often do better in the parent's tank during early growth, but do better in a separate tank for the last weeks before metamorphosis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back