Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton cf. Kweichowensis update!!!

benjoe

Reaction score
Stunning, i love the way they are pinstriped. great job on the tank also

frogman

Reaction score
Well...starting tomorrow I plan to slowly drain the water over a period of 7 days. After this is I will be moving them all into a terrestrial 10g and stick them in my 60-65 degree garage and gut load them before. After 2 months I will move them to my basement for a week and then move them back up to their 40g breeding aquarium and slowly raise water level over the course of 7 days while using a fogger I have to raise humidity. I will do 1.5-2hr a day mid range fogging while I raise the water level and then do 3hr a day mid level fogging for a week after. Then that hopefully will spark them and I will only do 30min a day light fogging for about a month and hopefully get eggs. How does this sound?

frogman

Reaction score
I have seen some nosing and a little bit of circling between a male and the female. I have just purchased two more females from an online store and I hope to have them into the tank and quarantined with the others by late July. I will post a video of the nosing soon.

frogman

Reaction score
Thank you, the two arrive tommorow so I will post pics.

frogman

Reaction score
So the two females ended up being males from the store reptilesncritters.com. Do not buy from this place no matter what because when I told them they were male they said "too bad" and would not do anything to fix it ?. But anyway, here are the ones I have had for a while. I have seen some courtship lately which includes nudging, circling, and nosing each other male and female. I have not seen any spermataphores yet though. But they have been pretty active and I have seen a couple swollen cloacas. My female may pop as well ?.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371150387.071857.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371150497.164185.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371150828.601684.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371150828.601684.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 354
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371151347.347050.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371151347.347050.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 297

frogman

Reaction score
Their tank is about 70-73 this time of year and we had a massive downpour yesterday and today it will be much warmer.

DITB

Reaction score
I am curious how your newts have done over the summer after experiencing 70-73 on a regular basis and sometimes "much warmer".
I am not criticizing your care of the newts because it obvious seems to be working for you. I am simply curious because I always had issues with this species once it got above 70F. This species of newt comes from areas of china where their hottest summer months rarely go above 75F and it isnt like wild newts are very active in the daylight hours so they would most likely only be above the leaf litter in temperatures in the low 60s at most.
Another thing to consider if the temperatures so so cool how much more drastically lower the water temperatures must be.
I have heard and read alot about over wintering this species in the high 50s or low 60s but a simple google search proves the areas these newts come from in the wild 9 months out of the year is colder than that. Some could argue that they done experience those temperatures because they brumate under the frost line but if that was indeed the case they would still experience 35-55 regularly.
But perhaps the light cycle is more important than temperature for this species?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
This species is only known from the southern border of Yunnan, adjacent to Vietnam, but it is mountainous. It can handle both a fair amount of heat and cold [overnight below freezing, if protected by leaf litter], provided it has soil moisture but dry air. When warm and humid [stagnant], they die rather quickly. I have had some specimens remain in the water while others hid in the duff below frost, but once daytime temperatures did not rise above freezing, they came inside. I haven't yet checked for climate data for this species, but once I update my maps to correct some records of T.shanjing/T.verrucosus to T.yangi, I'll be better able to identify the local climate. That will likely be slightly on the warm side, since climate stations tend to be near human habitation, not up in the shady damp mountain forests.

frogman

Reaction score
They are doing fantastic! I will be putting them into a terrestrial tank at the end of September for 3 months of cooling. The female is very large and readily chasing the males. I will be completely gutting and cleaning their tank for the first time this winter while they are In cooling. I am working on getting a second female still haha.

frogman

Reaction score
Sorry, they are all in their terrestrial tank. They are eating well and getting ready for a cooling period. I have finally located a female from a friend of mine. I will get her as soon as I get some money for shipping. :D

frogman

Reaction score
e9etagep.jpg

Not in cooling yet, a female is getting shipped today and once I get her there going into the garage :)

frogman

Reaction score
I put them all into cooling today. I weighed them all and measured them before I put them into the garage. The temp in the garage will range from 45-60 degrees this winter. I have 4.2 at the moment :)

frogman

Reaction score
They have been in the garage for about 7 weeks now, I think i'll take them out next wednesday. That will be 8 weeks exactly. What I have been hearing was good was 6-10 weeks so I thought id call it in the middle :D When I take them out I will weigh them all again and take pictures. I hate to bore you all with my constant updates on these guys, but seeing courtship last summer gave me hope. So I decided that if they are going to breed next summer, I would like to have all the steps I took documented. This is so that people in the future can try and breed these as well. Its funny to think that when I started this thread, this species was referd to as tylototriton cf. kweichowensis instead of tylototriton yangi. These guys should get a species page on caudata culture ;)

Evan

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Nice one !!
I hope you are successful with them.I enjoy the updates so keep them coming .I don't know of any breedings of Yangi in the U.K. a Few years back the Kweichowensis where bred.(I think they where kweichowensis)
We have acquired some lovely kweichowensis and Shanjing from Europe the last couple of months all Captive bred .I hope you are successful with them mate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1