Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton verrucosus twins!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at the eggs my Tylos had laid and noticed one with two embryos! I pulled it out along with a few other eggs to raise so we'll see what happens.
I also noticed some eggs that look like they're all in the same jelly, a bit like Bufo toad eggs, has anyone seen anything like it before?

Attachments

• SAM_0055.jpg
    SAM_0055.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 487
  • SAM_0042.jpg
    SAM_0042.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 392

JM29

Reaction score
I once had some Pleurodeles eggs in a continuous jelly string, like the case you describe here for T. verrucosus.
The female was very plump and had not laid for a while before that.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here, the females have been gravid for a month or two. I think the crazy weather we're having here in the UK might have set them off, it's been yo-yoing from about 8-22F over the last week!

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Have seen the multiple jelly sack before,Never had twins before though.
Im patiently waiting to see if this crazy weather pays off for my Tylos mate

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They both hatched as normal larvae and I lost track which ones they are, I haven't lost any larvae though, so they are certainly still going strong.
Btw, Your animals look very similar to mine, are they descended from the John Clare/Ummi bloodline?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine originally came from Michael Shrom, so whereever he got his from. I got them in 2004 or 2005, so it was a while ago.

Jort

Reaction score
Forgot to mention these are from Niels D. I copied the picture codes from another forum. He knows about this post of course. He's on a herping trip, but I found these pictures to be very nice to add to this thread, also because I saw the egg myself. Very beautiful if you ask me.

Niels D

Reaction score
Already back. It turned out to be more of a beer trip because of the weather. We wanted to see the P.muralis in Maastricht (only known Dutch population), but we ... well. Let's say we kept on ordering until our vision wasn't suitable to spot small lizzards anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!