Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton Verrucosus

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
My T. Verrucosus have made the transition from land to water. They are back and forth from land to water and eat in both elements. They're still too young for me to decide gender so I'll give it some time. Earthworms, waxworms, crickets, and almost anything that moves gets consumed.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_2251.JPG
    IMG_2251.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,624
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 2,901

Nathan050793

Reaction score
They look great! I've got some about the same size, but I'm still keeping them fully terrestrial. Can you give us an idea of what the setup is like?

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I have the 3 of them in a 15 gallon. 1/3 of the tank is water and the rest is land and rock. The tank was purchased as a divided tank I didn't divide it myself. In the water theres bigger rocks that break the surface and they use these rocks to climb back onto land. Where ever food is present they run to that location. I'll post more pics soon.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Here is an update on my T. verrucosus. They're about a year old now. The biggest one is about 7 inches. They eat earthworms, live brine shrimp, salmon pellets and black worms. I hope they breed next season after the winter. The pictures are "iphone" quality. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 469

dragonlady

Reaction score
They are beautiful! I wish you luck with the breeding!

Is their set-up still the same or is it more aquatic now? Could you post a pic of the whole tank?

sek

Reaction score
I love your T. Verrucosus!!

They're looking great, I hope you can breed them. I too would like to see your setup... :)

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thanks DragonLaday and Neo for the compliments. They have been aquatic for about 4-5 months now. Here's a view of their setup. I keep a decent rock structure in there along with a simple sponge filter. 0.0.3 T verrucosus live in that 15 gallon, and they seem to be very happy. Check it out!

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 452

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I forgot to add that my T. verrucosus are spawn from Dawns' Eddie and Electra! Thanks Dawn! Hopefully they'll be as prolific as their parents.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are, you'll be overrun! I have some I kept from this batch too, and I don't think they'll breed this year. Maybe next year.
Also, mine lay in July, later than most captive newts.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Wow! July? That is kind of late. Dawn did you do any temperature drops or cooling periods? This is my 1st group of T. verrucosus so I don't have much wisdom about them yet. I do remember that the male was tail fanning the other 2 T. verrucosus when it 1st went aquatic but that lasted only for about a week. I'll keep you guys updated!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine endure the same basement temperatures my other species do. It gets cooler in winter and warms up as spring comes. Maybe it's something about captivity; I'm not sure when they lay in nature.

aramcheck

Reaction score
Mine endure the same basement temperatures my other species do. It gets cooler in winter and warms up as spring comes. Maybe it's something about captivity; I'm not sure when they lay in nature.

Mine are in the basement with my other newts, but with a small heater to keep the temps a bit warmer (15c winter/25c summer), they lay coonstantly between May and August. I was suprised to find a new clutch of eggs in the tank last week :eek:, while the morph from my first clutch this year are around 9cm at the moment!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I'm sure that captive animals have a altered bio-clock and don't operate like how they would in the wild. So if Eddie and Electra lay later in the year I'm sure thats fine. Breeding in captivity can be natural or induced. I hope that my newts choose the best time for them to breed. I'm not going to force anything but there will be temperature drops in the winter.

tony

Reaction score
They are my favourite they look like they are smiling all the time.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tony, do you still have offspring from mine?

sek

Reaction score
They're beautiful. I love your setup. Especially the rock formation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!