Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton Verrucosus

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Well, I thought I would post some pics of my t.verr. It is kinda emarrassing because they are either overweight or gravid. I doubt the latter. I hope they are a 1:1 pair because I do want to breed them. Today I took them out and measured them. The large one is 13cm and 22.1 grams and the small one is 12cm and 20.5 grams. The "small" one seems super fat or possibly gravid. The "big" one seems just fat. The small one was half the size of the large one and more shy untill about 2-3 months ago. It has since become more bold and eats a lot. They are both fed on earthworms almost exclusively. I have a cloaca shot of each and some profile pics of them. Tell me what sex you think they are and anything else you care to share.

Attachments

• IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_5317.JPG
    IMG_5317.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_5312.JPG
    IMG_5312.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_5320.JPG
    IMG_5320.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 821

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I'd guess the one was gravid, but their cloacas look so non-descript.
Well, make sure there are a lot of plants and stuff in the water if the one is going to lay.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But just to add, when Elektra is full of eggs, she's freakishly gigantic, like the bottom animal in the third picture.

aramcheck

Reaction score
When they are gravid, my females do look like the big individual in the pictures, so I'll go to gravid for that one, not sure about the opther one. They are greedy newts and females whith eggs are enormous, I used to panic and think it could only be bloat, but they seems to recover everytime and then some eggs have appeared on the plants ;)

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I too have witnessed the "ready to pop" from packing themselves silly. I know mine werent gravid just really really full. I really hope you have something going there AJ. We need more TYLOS!! Beautiful looking guys!

Mitch

frogman

Reaction score
Those are amazing! I'm getting one in a couple months. Do you have any reccomended places on websites to buy them from?

kewxedge

Reaction score
These look gorgeous! I'm hoping to get a few in the next few weeks, but I'm struggling to find anywhere in the UK to get them! :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1