Question: Tylototriton verrucosus

Is it actually losing weight? If not it might just not be hungry. It might be best just to relax and leave it alone for a few days, Remember, Otterwoman has already said that it seems normal and hers don't eat that much.

There have been times where my newts have lost their appetite for no reason and I fretted and convinced myself they would starve to death, but it seems to be just part of their natural cycle and they start eating again like the hungry hippo's game until they're full!

If I were you I would run ammonia, nitrite and especially nitrate tests to make sure there's nothing upsetting it. I know the shrimp are fine so the water is probably ok, but start with the basics so you don't have to assume anything.

I think I would lave the cork in there for the time being and keep disturbances to a minimum, it will most likely go into the water to hunt when it gets hungry and realises there's nothing to eat on the island.

Last edited:
I tried feeding worm while it was on land and it just basically ran away from it, then I put the newt into the water and offered it again and it ate it. And yes it has been losing weight, I don't think I have ever seen it with a very healthy weight, and it will occasionally go a week and a half without eating and when it does it it doesn't eat very much. Its probably been on land for a week and Ive had the light off since I added the shrimp, and the waters fine so idk lol

What kind of worms are you offering? some of my newts won't touch red wrigglers and the like (Eisenia spp), but they go mad for proper nightcrawlers (Lumbricus spp).

Last edited:
What kind of worms are you offering? some of my newts won't touch red wrigglers and the like (Eisenia spp), but they go mad for proper nightcrawlers (Lumbricus spp).

Im feeding chopped nightcrawlers, they had red worms but I don't buy them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back