Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

UK Caudata.org Meeting, Suffolk, England on May 15th

J

john

Dave Herbert has kindly offered to host a meeting at his home near Brandon (near Thetford), Suffolk on May 15th. He will give an informal talk regarding his methods for the care and maintenance of Salamandra species and subspecies, of which he undoubtedly has the most extensive collection in the UK and perhaps Europe. Following the talk he will provide a guided tour through the various Salamandra he keeps at his home.

I will be in attendance and I am up for giving an informal talk too (suggestions welcome). We would meet in the Ram Hotel in Suffolk at around 11 or 12 (to be decided I think). We can change this depending on how people feel (and Dave most importantly, since it’s going to be at his home).

We’ve limited numbers to 14 people to not overwhelm Dave and his girlfriend. If you would like to go, please contact me via the forum messaging service. It’s a first-come-first-served arrangement so get on your bikes. As a word of warning, I will be bringing a camera... *evil cackle*

Dave is going to be picking me up at Thetford train station, if anyone else wants to travel via that route.

(Message edited by john on April 08, 2004)

J

john

Oh I forgot to add that I think it would be nice if we, as a group, have some trading/selling/giving away of animals. So feel free to bring your excess little monsters along (newts, not children please).

A

anthony

hey john i might come got to see how far it is from sussex.
tony.

morg

Reaction score
Id love to be there, but with the WASTED 4 day punk festival being not long after that date,it would be difficult for me to get the money together for travel via public transport.
If anybody is driving from the Doncaster-Sheffield area, and would be able to offer me a lift, please contact me.

justin

Reaction score
hi john i will come if thats ok i live in bury st edmunds which is only a stones throw away cheers justin

M

matthew

Dave has been good enough to extend his hospitality to me on a couple of occasions... I must say I think this is a date not to be missed.

If you see this before you get my private message, please do count me in Dave.

I'm determined to beg, borrow, steal - or even buy! - a digital camera to get piccies up of the gorgeous sals (along with a species list on my profile) I've had from Dave down the years. I always feel something of a fraud when the jaws of visitors hit the floor at the beauty of, for example, my red Loire Valley terrestris or my breathtaking gigliolii. He raised them; I'm just the caretaker.

Really hoping u can make it too, Morg!!!

Y

yago

Hey, do you accept an overseas enthusiast? I might take a flight ticket and pop up there. Tickets from Barcelona to London are pretty cheap. It will be very nice to meet you guys. Moreover, it can be a great opportunity for me to meet my old friends from England during the rest of weekend. And I know someone from Barcelona that might be very interested to join too. I will inform him by tomorrow.
Let me know
Best greetings
Yago

morg

Reaction score
Change of plans.
I will take a trip to the rail station today to sus out trains.[as long as I'm welcome to attend?]
I was planning to pop through to go on a newt spotting+ photographing expedition with Justin Slate some time this year, but with him being so close to Suffolk I may as well put the two occasions together.
It will just mean that I will have less cider money for the punk weekend,which I suppose can only be a good thing at my age.
If anybody is interested in the wasted punk weekend, which attracts people from around the world, check out
www.punkfestival.co.uk

Y

yago

I have talk to Gustavo Espallargas and we most probably come to the British meeting as long as we are invited. We have to arrange everything though.
Best greetings
Yago

J

john

As far as people asking for permission goes, I think you should each email Dave just to double check.

The list of people intending to attend so far is:
  1. Dave Herbert <LI>John Clare <LI>Tony McGill <LI>Morg "Morg" McMorg <LI>Justin Slate <LI>Matthew "J" Dyke <LI>Yago Alonso Giménez <LI>Gustavo Espallargas (to be confirmed)
That's 8 so far out of 14 spaces, so only four left. The following have confirmed with Dave (that I know of):
  1. John <LI>Matthew
<font color="0000ff">Dave also wanted me to mention that if you don't like big dogs, it might be a good idea not to come - to quote Dave "not that either of them are nasty, just a bit huge".</font>

mike

Reaction score
Count me in....apart from Dave and Fiona, I haven't personally met anybody on the list, it will be good to speak to them "in person".

J

john

Eggs-cellent Mike. I am looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the guys (pity all of the UK women enthusiasts are too timid to attend *duck*).

J

john

I should add that I've met Dave and a certain Spanish person before. Morg and I have talked on the phone I believe once, though that was a long time ago.

Y

yago

Well, I got the tickets already for me, Gustavo and her wife. I’ve got all of them (go and return) just for 268 euros, just 80 euros per person. We will arrive on Thursday and we will leave London by Sunday. Those days Gustavo is in France for vacations so he won’t be able to access to the internet till next week, I have arrenged everything with him and her wife via e-mail.
We will get in contact with John and Dave by e-mail.
Best greetings
Yago

Y

yago

Sorry, I have contact Gustavo via telephone
crazy.gif

M

matthew

Thought for the day... so we all get to meet, in a lovely part of the country, see one of the best private collections in Europe, gain knowledge of some amazing caudates and possibly go home with some new ones.
Life's tough sometimes, isn't it?

mike

Reaction score
In accordance with Caudata.org time-honoured tradition I've posted my mug shot for easy recognition at the Meet.
Or should I say Morg shot?
lol.gif

As you can see, I'm no spring chicken.
blush.gif

(Message edited by mike on April 09, 2004)

G

gustavo

Hi at all i confirm my visit to the meeting in England,is to nice to meet and speak about our common hobby with John Clare and Dave and meet in person to Mike East.
See you,Gustavo.

J

john

This is an update from Dave:

"I have arranged for David Donaire Barroso, an authority on S.algira , to come here for the meeting to give an informal talk on S.algira. He won't be arriving until later in the afternoon and giving the talk at about 3 or 4 o'clock. I thought this would be an added bonus."

Dave also mentions that Brandon train station would be the best to arrive at, though Thetford is close by.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!