Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unable to keep tank temp below 20 degrees celsius in UK. Any fan or product recommendations?

ltoloxa-

Reaction score
I have a fan going at all times and change the water with colder water. I also use frozen water bottles and the heat is off in my bedroom. The temp never stays below 20 though.

I'm thinking about getting a tank cooler but they are very expensive and I can't really afford it.

I've tried so many things, but it's only ever a quick fix. I only recently started checking the temp (as told wrong info when given the axolotl) but I don't want to risk my axie becoming sick.

It's currently summer, which could be a factor - my room temp is 23-26 degrees but I have the window open and heating off always. Probably the coldest room in the house.

What can I do rather than a quick fix? Any fan or cooler recommendations? My fan is this but it isn't very good.

Any advice welcome. Thank you

Jrosenbloom4

Reaction score
I use the petzilla aquarium chiller (I bought the one with three fans) and it's reduced my temp from 74°F to as of this morning 67°F (19°C) in my 20 gallon tank.

However I found that the fan was most effective when I manipulated my door. For example when I'm not in my room and I close the door the tanks temp would drop the most. But if I'm in the room and the doors shut the temp would rise. So now when I'm sleeping in the room or doing school work I crack the door open. Keep in mind that even when I did this it took a few days to get down to my desired temperature

debadog

Reaction score
This is not a popular opinion but your axolotls should be fine with slightly higher tank temperatures in the summer. Most days my tank temp is around 24C, and my 2 axies are happy, healthy and thriving and have been doing so for 4 years. I would love to have a way to keep the tank cooler but chillers aren't just expensive (which is an easy enough obstacle to overcome) they are cumbersome and difficult to install unless you have a very specific type of tank. I spent a lot of time stressing about keeping the temperature down but as the years passed and it clearly didn't seem to bother them, much less make them sick, i just tried to keep it around room temp by using fans. Constantly making the water temp fluctuate by adding frozen water bottles or replacing tank water with cooler water is far more likely to have a negative impact on them than just leaving things how they are. My advice would be to install some decent fans, monitor the temperature and try not to let it get above 25.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1