Uncycled tank, help!

CourtneyLeigh97

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me advice please, my axolotl used to have prominent fluffy gills which have now shrunk. I ordered a testing kit and the results are as follows:

Ammonia/NH3: 0
Nitrite/NO2: 0
Nitrate/NO3: 0
PH 6-9 test: 7.5/8 more so 8 by the looks of it
Carbonate Hardness/KH test: 10kdh/178ppm (caco3) 10 drops
General Hardness/GH test: 27 drops 27dgh = 480.6mg/l ( cac03)

could the water hardness be a problem? Also is there anything else I should check for? the tank is around 120 ish litres and has an underwater fluval filter, the current from the filter isn’t strong either..
** update: I uploaded this to an axi Facebook group, I was told to tub my axi and do 100% water changes for a month and have purchased dr Tim’s ammonium chloride cycle, how many drops should I do? My tank is 120 litres ish.. and should I do this everyday for a month? the package should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday, any other help would be great!

Thanks in advance ☺️

Attachments

• 36805DA1-9C55-48D1-8AC9-1FF1D78490F0.jpeg
    36805DA1-9C55-48D1-8AC9-1FF1D78490F0.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,087
Yes your tank is uncycled and should not have an axolotl in it

Yes your KH is crazy high if a true result. Please test your tap water - I haven't see that high a result without the GH being high as well.

Seachem neutral may help with your pH and to precipitate a bunch of the carbonate.

What else is in your tank?
What water conditioner are you using? Anything else you are adding?
What type of tests are you using?

Cycling

you have the ammonia on the way, you also need a heater and a beneficial bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability.

Yes your KH is crazy high if a true result. Please test your tap water - I haven't see that high a result without the GH being high as well.

Seachem neutral may help with your pH and to precipitate a bunch of the carbonate.

Cycling

you have the ammonia on the way, you also need a heater and a beneficial bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability.

Cycling

ok thank you! I’ll test the water when I’m home. I have a fluval U4 filter, and a couple of decorations such as some pebbles and a hide. I’m using love fish from pets at home (UK) for the water conditioner and not adding anything else. I’ll link a picture of the test kit now. He’s all tubbed now and using ice bottles to keep cool

Your conditioner needs to be investigated as to whether it contains any aloe.
Any pebbles or rocks or decor smaller than 4" should be remived unless siliconed together. Can become a choking/impaction hazard.

This is what’s in my tank, the hide with the axi is in the tub. The Dr Tims arrives today and will do a 100% water change in the tub today, I’ve linked pictures of the tank and the water treatment description

Attachments

• 514133C1-C896-41AF-9104-D2D4A5D2F0FA.jpeg
    514133C1-C896-41AF-9104-D2D4A5D2F0FA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
  • 6400035F-5C47-4D16-9F8B-61503E4CCAFF.png
    6400035F-5C47-4D16-9F8B-61503E4CCAFF.png
    648.3 KB · Views: 216
  • C6AD65CD-6935-4E33-AD45-68C9CB19279D.jpeg
    C6AD65CD-6935-4E33-AD45-68C9CB19279D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
I just want to add that I’ve added some water treatment for the 100% water change and it states there is aloe Vera. Do I need to change the one I’m using?

I just want to add that I’ve added some water treatment for the 100% water change and it states there is aloe Vera. Do I need to change the one I’m using?
Yes. Aloe Vera can irritate the axolotls slime coat and cause other issues. I would switch to Seachem Prime, it’s what most people, including myself, use

Yes Aloe interferes with their slime coat making it too think which interferes with breathing and absorption and release of substances.
Drop any products that contain aloe or state natural ingredients for slime coat.

I have investigated some with the companies. Seachem Prime, Seachem Safe, API water conditioner, Tetra water conditioner are all safe.

Many store brands contain aloe.

For cycling your ammonia is key, adding a heater to 78 degrees helps speed things up and adding a beneficial bacteria to introduce then to your tank is also key.

Seachem Stability, Tetra SafeStart plus, Nutrafin Cycle, Api Stresszyme or other pure live bacteria additives are safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back