Unexplained eft death

Risigan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just found out that one of my efts died. I am just devastated by this. It was doing fine and I didn't expect this at all. About 3 days ago it stopped eating but I thought nothing of it, 3 days really isn't that long. Then I just looked at the tank and I saw it upside down in the dirt not moving. It has no external marks or anything like that. Any ideas? The other eft seems fine, but I am going to keep a close eye on it.

If you are talking about red efts (Noto. viridescens), they are notoriously hard to rear. This is, unfortuntely, a common experience.

Yes they are hard to rear. I had surprise eggs from mine a few years back. Of the five that hatched and survived (a few others hatched but died as larvae) they all died off at the eft stage. :( Very discouraging after getting through the larval stage where they were so small.

I have had trouble with small efts in the past, but this one was beginning to turn into an adult. Is it common for a large eft (beginning to become aquatic again) to mysteriously die. One thing I did notice is that the eft always seemed skinny, although it was eating the same amount of food as my other eft. I have only had it for a little over month, but I would have expected it to put on some weight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back