Unknown European newt

andreigatea

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello!I have captured this newt from a small river near my house about a week ago and I don't know the species.I think it's a female and it has about 5 cm.I feed it earthworms from my compost an I put it in a 50 L aquarium.It should be noted that I live in NV Romania and it is probably indigenous.Can someone identify it?Sorry for the reflection it's the tank.

Attachments

• Windows Phone_20140503_003.jpg
    Windows Phone_20140503_003.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Windows Phone_20140503_004.jpg
    Windows Phone_20140503_004.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Windows Phone_20140503_013.jpg
    Windows Phone_20140503_013.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 234
That's a Lissotriton vulgaris. It's a protected species and its collection should be illegal in your country. You should put it back where you found it as soon as possible.

Lissotriton vulgaris is a 'protected species' here in the UK but it's collection is not prohibited, even sale of wild caught specimens is now legal under general license, subject to license restrictions. Would Romania have cause to have more stringent rules governing 'protected species' than the UK ?

I do not like the idea that they are now prohibiting the WC trade of a declining species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back