Unusual color morph (again!)

Here is one of Pirate when she was a couple weeks younger than these ones.

picture.php

You're the Chimera farm Jake.

You're the Chimera farm Jake.

I found one more yesterday, so including Pirate I have 7. It'd be nice to have a chimera farm, but I'm not sure if any more will show up. I just have to keep pairing that magical male with random females to see;)

I have no idea why there are so many of them in this batch. I've found 5 so far.

As for these pictures, I did not flip any of them, all of the larvae do have a white left side, .

Correction: They don't all have the pigment on the same side, I'm not sure what the ratio is, but most have it on the left side, I'll have to take a closer look.

Here are a couple pics of some of the GFP chimeras under black light.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's not easy to interpret what is going on but the larva in the middle photo (also in the first) appears not to be expressing GFP in an area on its right behind the eye which is clear and not obscured by pigment. Assuming this patch also looks different you have pretty convincing evidence of chimerism.

I cannot think of any explanation as to why the phenomenon appears to be related to the father! Magic may be the answer but if not concentrate on the mothers producing multiple eggs in one jelly coat in crosses which will produce offspring of different colour types.

O.K. !!
I'm waiting for up-dates on these guys.
I look every day!
Let's get on the ball!! LOL !!
You're keeping us in the dark.

It will be interesting to see whether or not the color will being to drastically change/even out has it matures. Very exciting regardless.

Wow! I've read through this thread and the original one on Pirate and I'm very intrigued! Is the general consensus on here that they are all chimeras? Isn't chimerism really uncommon? I have no experience of axolotl breeding so I don't know much about their genetics but is it possible that Pirate's father has an unusual mutation that increases the incidence of multiple zygotes forming, and some of these have fused?

Please shoot me done if this is completely impossible. As I say, I'm an axolotl newbie and this was just conjecture. Regardless, I find the story of Pirate and these new ones really exciting. I would love to find out more.

=[
I can't view the images.
What happened?

I can not view the photos either.

Mike

I will contact the original poster and see what has happened to the photos.

Unfortunately the original poster removed his photos. Hopefully he will re-post them.

As far as I know, Jake only sells his more commonly colored axolotls (locally, at shows). He only rarely gives away any of the chimaeras, and only for serious breeders.

I can't see them either! I'm dying to see what these little fellas look like.
Hopefully they get put up again.

U shuld sell them to americans so there axolotls can breed with them and make america a rainbow of black and white half oreos

Wow, thanks for the long entertaining threads. I too hope you get the pictures re-uploaded soon.

A chimera is an organism with 2 sets of genetic information, usually resulting from a two eggs, as oceanblue explained in the original thread.

Because of this, it's features are the result of two sets of genes expressing themselves. A chimera (Pirate) that produces eggs or sperm, creates them using only one set of genes(the one that developed the sex organ). Thus this coloring cannot be passed genetically.

Interestingly a mutation allowing for increased chances of chimera can be passed. It would have to be selected for by looking for eggs with 2 embryos in them rather then the strange coloring.

I think in general this is likely to reduce the life span of the Axolotl produced, but I have no evidence of that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back