Unusual question?

kaylalouise

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi,

lately i have been finding these large brown cylinder shape things at the bottom of my tank, a few days after feeding.

is this its poo? or is my axolotl vomiting it up?

cheers

hi kaylalouise

i use to find the same thing and thought it was just poo.......

lea

It is indeed just poo ;)

I also found it odd looking in the beginning and pondered considerably over what it might be, but there we have it, 100% product of nature :happy:

So why am I only finding that one is doing it?

One of my axolotls likes the pellets this is the one who is doing the pooping.

The other who is currently in the fridge likes frozen brine shrimp, but I have never seen this come from her?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what they are fed on. Is the fridged one pooing at all? Mel

The day after I feed her brine shrimp, I see bits of sand and little white things. But that was more after i just put her in the fridge.

She isn't doing big brown poos like the other one.

I would say its just the pellets. I wouldn't be concerned. If you fed her on pellets i'd imagine she'd be doin the same. Mel

I am worried she is getting a little thin though.

This is the one with the swollen mouth.

It looks like the bite is healing/healed but it looks like her mouth is still swollen. This is why I have put her in the fridge.

I tried to feed her yesterday but she wasn't interested. Maybe 3-4 days before that, she ate a bit.

Its normal for the feeding to slow down while fridged. She may have a mouth infection. Do you have a vet close by you can take her to? Have you tried leavin some live blackworms in with her. They wont foul the water too much if she doesn't eat them. If you're very concerned about her weight you could take her out of the fridge and see if she's more responsive to food.

If one is getting daphnia and other things and not pooping much, while the other gets pellets and drops logs, i would suspect it is also the diet to a certain amount that is causing the differing fecal consistencies. The pellets likely have a fibrous bran style vegetative base which helps bind them together, and an Axie, being a carnivorous critter, doesn't have the herbivorous stomach to digest the pellets substrate.

Fish farm pellets like the salmon pellets soem reccommend on here to feed to axies are made to be droped in the water with fish and to hold together until eaten, plain ground meat dissolves rapidly and dried hard like beef jerky, or goes mouldy fast if still moist. but fish pellets are usually soft while still high meat protein. this is done with mixes of bran style base substrate and glycerine and other water free moisteners.

I suspect the logs are undigested pellet base substrate and binder after having the food value digested off them on their way through the gut.

Yup I feed my axie newt pellets and usually mix that with shrimp and worms. If he eats a lot of the pellets then he gets brown logs like that too so i try and give him more fiber and easier digestible things with the live food. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back