Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update on my Theloderma corticales

Socrates

Reaction score
Hey so it's been awhile since I've posted, just wanted to show everyone how the gang of Mossys are doing since last time I posted pictures of them (it was back in June i think haha). Well here they are! And I will be acquiring a sex paired of Theloderma licin soon as well. Hopefully to start breeding those, but still in pursuit of a female Vietnamese Mossy. Enjoy!

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

Socrates

Reaction score
Here's the rest of my photos, more to come! (I can take better pictures of them at night when there out and about)

Attachments

• DSC00620.jpg
    DSC00620.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC00623.jpg
    DSC00623.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC00622.jpg
    DSC00622.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 422

uwe

Reaction score
Hi,

nice set-up.

Are the Theloderma in the US also surprisingly expensive? In Europe they sell off-spring for 50Euro (65 US$) each, which is in my opinion way off.

Nice animals though, but to my opinion not the big difference to Bombinas.

See you

Uwe

Socrates

Reaction score
Thanks, the pothos has really taken over, but the frogs seem to enjoy it. Ya they sell for around $45-65 in the states here. I agree that it is a bit high for these guys. Thanks for the compliments.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Right now here in the U.S. they are selling them for up to $80.00 a piece!

Socrates

Reaction score
Wow, see it must be my location or something. I say that, because I always see them for sale around $45-55 for juveniles and $65-70 for adults. But then again I did see one vendor at my local reptile show who had adults for $100 a piece! Now that's ridiculous if you ask me haha. But I am getting a good deal on those Theloderma licins, pretty excited about getting that sexed paired.

uwe

Reaction score
Next Friday will be an lecture on Theloderma species in (my local) Herp group in Frankfurt by Dennis Sylla, who has regularily off-spring. I may ask him about details and prices.

As I see the animals are fortunately good to keep and to breed, so prices will drop soon. So more people will get groups of this nice animals.

T.licins are looking totally different to cortical. A "smooth warty frog", kind of skurril naming.

Uwe

Socrates

Reaction score
Very cool indeed, that should be a good lecture I'm jealous. But ya the T. licins are groovy looking frogs. Fortunately I am receiving a sexed paired and hopefully will have myself some spawn soon enough :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1